Railroad Forums 

• White Mountain Central Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1033590  by steamer69

@p42thedowneaster

The Shay at Clarks is a 50 ton Class B shay. My notes from Leon (one of the engineers there).
My notes list a boiler diameter of 44.25"

I'm sorry that I do not have the frame dimentions for you, I'm missing a couple of pages of notes. When you get around to the Heisler, let me know I do have drawings for the heisler that may make it easier for you. I also have access to one so that I can take any measurements that you don't have on ours.
 #1033610  by p42thedowneaster

Thanks steamer,
I was actually looking for dimensions of the Climax. I'm hoping to build a smaller Climax like Clark's because I intend to run it on narrow gauge trucks w/ my narrow gauge Shay (45mm gauge / G scale). I'd be very interested in the dimensions of the Heisler at Passumpsic...perfect size loco!
 #1033625  by steamer69

P.M me an e-mail address or something and I can help you out. I'm going to be talking with Dave over at WMCR very soon about a parts issue, so let me know exactly what you need (for the Climax) and I will ask him. He is usually good about working with us.
 #1044370  by Dick H

National Train Day, May 12th. at Lincoln.

64 Railroad Street
Lincoln, NH 03251
Event Date: 05/12/2012

Start Time: 11:00 AM

End Time: 12:00 PM

Event Description: NH Department of Transportation Commissioner Chris Clement will join District One Executive Councilor Ray Burton and others at a ceremony in recognition of “National Train Day” on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at the Hobo Railroad in Lincoln, New Hampshire. Participants: Welcome – Ben Clark, Owner of Hobo Railroad Opening Remarks – Executive Councilor Ray Burton Speakers: Chris Clement, Commissioner, NH Department of Transportation Peter Thomson, Coordinator, New Hampshire Highway Safety Agency Thomas Mahon, Chair, NH Rail Transit Authority Edward Foley, General Manager, St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad
 #1213120  by drvmusic

Other than Railroad Days, is it ever possible to ride the trains without the Wolfman attaction? I like the Wolfman "show" myself, but my kids are scared of it and refuse to ride the train because of it. It would be cool if they'd have maybe 1 ride per day that doesn't have the show.

Always nice to see the Climax in action, such a great loco!
 #1325107  by p42thedowneaster

http://whitemountaincentralrr.com/visit ... /events-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sad to report: No Railroad Days this year due to a scheduling conflict. It should resume in 2016.
On the upside...looks like the Climax will be up and running throughout the season.

Interestingly, CSRR's railfan event has also been modified: reduced to a single day and also brought to the first weekend of September.
 #1376413  by RRFAN

I don't know if we ever talked about this but, I was looking up pictures of the EB&L Porter 3 on display and I found a old picture of a different EB&L locomotive on display. It looks like it was in the same spot where the porter is but, it look like the Baldwin 5 that runs at the WMC. What do you guys think?
Attachments:
61265326.jpg
61265326.jpg (235.51 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
 #1376458  by RRFAN

Mikejf wrote:It was. #5 was on display there until 10 or 15 years ago, when Clarks made the swap and restored #5
oh ok thanks! This is the only picture I could find. Are the ties on the bottom of the picture an older display spot?
 #1376654  by Mikejf

Not sure. I know the display has been moved a few times, but don't remember which locomotive was on display. The ties don't look used yet.

**Edit**
After looking at the date on the photo (June 68), I think these may be ties from the original line, left there after scrapping.
 #1376913  by p42thedowneaster

I always thought the East Branch and Lincoln was on the other side of the highway from Loon. http://docs.unh.edu/NH/frcn29sw.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in looking at the maps though, I would suggest the highway is built on the row in many places. The ties in the picture very well could be the EB&L. I seem to remember seeing abandoned ties further up in the pass while hiking the Hancock Mtns.
 #1376995  by Mikejf

I don't think much of the Lincoln side of the highway was built on the old grade, because it was still in use when the road was built. But the Conway side of the highway was built largely on the old grade, from Bear Notch Rd to Route 16.
 #1377141  by JohnR19

On the Loon side of the highway was where the holding ponds and the paper mill stood.The paper mill was in operation till around 1980,before being closed because they could'nt meet water quality standards for discharge into river.