Railroad Forums 

• Massachusetts Central Railroad (MCER) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1208887  by Dick H

You have the Mass Central Railroad confused with the Mass. Coastal Railroad.
The Mass Central Railroad runs between Palmer and Ware MA> The Mass.
Coastal Railroad runs on the Cape. You won't be seeing the B&M style painted
locomotives in Hyannis. You need to travel to Palmer to see them.
 #1209066  by F-line to Dudley via Park

fl9m2004 wrote:Would I be able to see them from the Vermonter
If the timing's right. MassCentral being small obviously doesn't interchange with CSX as many times a day as NECR does. But they do scoot through there and you may pass some of their power parked at the MC-NECR junction underneath the Mass Pike or on NECR's extra siding tracks on the 1-1/2 miles between Palmer Jct. and the Pike.
 #1209157  by shadyjay

Mass Central has their power stored on the weekends in the fenced in area which is just north of the diamond (NECR/CSX). It's actually probably *almost* visible from the Palmer station area. From the train, you see it very shortly after moving after the CSX to NECR switching move is completed, and SB you see it a little distance past where the MC's line begins to parallel the NECR.

Still think we have another year until the Palmer reverse move is history. Usually these track upgrades take at least two construction seasons, and this has been pretty much the first full one. As I take the Vermonter several times a year, I'm looking forward to the reroute, not just for the time savings, but to see something new. And the Palmer-East Northfield route is the last portion of the Vermonter's route that still has stick rail, though welded rail has been placed on several curves.
 #1209200  by shadyjay

They use only one right now, and a cab car on the other end. The cab leads between New Haven and Palmer. Upon the reroute, a backup move is still required to get into or out of Springfield, but that can be accomplished without a cab or a second locomotive.
 #1209213  by fl9m2004

So that's why every time I see both vermonters
Cab cars are on both ends of those trains
I see it almost every week mostly the southbound 55
Along with a couple of metro north's and the Danbury and Shore Line East runs
 #1255405  by atsf sp

Drove by the Mass Central yard in Palmer on Sunday. Where are the 2100 and 960 now since the only engines located there are the 1750/51, and the derelict GP9.
 #1255511  by daylight4449

atsf sp wrote:Drove by the Mass Central yard in Palmer on Sunday. Where are the 2100 and 960 now since the only engines located there are the 1750/51, and the derelict GP9.
Pretty sure 960 is off the property by this point... 2100 has been in South Barre for some time from what I've heard.
 #1320676  by Tower35

NashuaActon&Boston wrote:I explored the Mass Central a few years ago for the first time. Is the small yard w/ the old BAR boxcar considered South Barre?
I came back this way for a visit. The BAR box is actually in Barre Plains. South Barre is just up the track to the end of the line at the reload facility. The 2100 is sitting in the Ware yard just north of the route 9/32 underpass.