Railroad Forums 

• Pioneer Valley Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#758577  by CVRA7

The locomotives are generally kept inside the shop when not in use.
 #758847  by atsf sp

Is there any way to view the engine house from public grounds? Where are the best viewing spots of the yard?
 #758893  by Cadet57

atsf sp wrote:Is there any way to view the engine house from public grounds? Where are the best viewing spots of the yard?
THe yard is surrounded by other businesses. The only one that you probably will not get hassled from is the parking lot of Westwood Restaurant and Pub, but again nothing going on on the weekends
 #766752  by 9axle

There is also a bridge over the south end of the yard, look north you can see the entire yard, south is the CSX mainline and the old bridge across the river, soon to be a bike path I hope. The bridge is now closed to traffic, so it could be a good place to watch even on weekdays.
 #766844  by Cadet57

Are you talking about the bridge they just closed for the one about 100 yards away? Ie the bridge for routes 10/202? Thats an active construction site.
 #767248  by Jedijk88

Prospect Hill bridge, which goes over the south end of the yard.
 #824785  by lexon

I live a few miles from Westfield MA where this railroad has a yard and connects with the CSX.
Last edited by lexon on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #825035  by lexon

I removed the pictures as they are too large. How can I do this with Photo Bucket?
I can post a direct link but the IMG link is too large for this foum. Any ideas?
I questioned the admin but no answer. Thanks.

Rich
 #825343  by Hux

In Photobucket you can resize pictures. Click on the Edit feature that is in the upper right corner of each picture displayed on your Home page. There used to be a feature that would let you preselect the pixel size of the picture before you uploaded...though I can't find it at present.
 #971910  by MEC407

From masslive.com:
masslive.com wrote:HOLYOKE – Pioneer Valley Railroad gave a tour by caboose here Friday of the industries it delivers to and improvements made on tracks.

“It’s kind of an old-time asset that’s coming back into use. That’s wonderful,” said Doris M. Ransford, president of the Greater Holyoke Chamber of Commerce.
Read more at: http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... s_how.html
 #971957  by Cadet57

I saw that last night on ML. I live about 2 miles from their Holyoke trackage. I heard their horns in the area of the new interchange yard. Naturally I was without my camera and the ability to go get it.... :(
 #972321  by Jedijk88

This Saturday, Sept. 24th the Pioneer Valley is supposed to run an excursion train between Westfield and Holyoke.
 #973084  by Cadet57

Jedijk88 wrote:This Saturday, Sept. 24th the Pioneer Valley is supposed to run an excursion train between Westfield and Holyoke.
Noted, thank you sir. Any potential timetable? Where to in Holyoke?