Railroad Forums 

• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR) -2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#621779  by eriemike

Here are some videos from this past Saturday's special steam excursion. I want to give a big hats off to Paul Hallett and the rest of the Conway Scenic crew. This had to be one of the best railfan trips I have chased in a long time. Also kudos to the Mass. Bay RRE for sponsoring the trip (We paid our $25 fee to be an "Offical Chase Vehicle"). Hope you all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJobsOjs ... annel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgM-VMkz ... annel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNxrjGqC ... annel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEXJHUx ... annel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W18sGWw7 ... annel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6T5-PAp ... annel_page
 #621992  by merrman

The following information provides an accurate history of the CSRR expansion to Crawfords.
Hope this clears up some of the misconceptions floating around out there.
EXPANSION TO CRAWFORD NOTCH

In 1994 Conway Scenic Railroad began its 21st operating season, and found itself on the threshold of its first major expansion. At Intervale, NH the rails of Conway Scenic Railroad connected with the abandoned tracks of the Maine Central's fabled Mountain SubDivision through Crawford Notch. The last regular passenger train service through Crawford Notch ended in 1958 and freight service ceased in 1983. In 1993 the State of New Hampshire took steps to purchase the line from the Maine/New Hampshire State line near Center Conway through Interval and Crawford Notch to the yard limit at Whitefield, NH. The State then sought proposals from various entities to rehabilitate and operate the line for passenger excursion service. After a lengthy application process CSRR was named the designated operator, and on September 1, 1994 the State of NH and Conway Scenic Railroad signed a contract for maintenance and operation of the Crawford Notch line. Soon CSRR's trains would be serving the communities of Bartlett and Bretton Woods/Fabyan as they moved up and down the mountain through spectacular Crawford Notch.

Once CSRR got the green light from the State work started in earnest to reopen the long dormant rail line. Brush crews began at Intervale Switch cutting and chipping over ten years of growth as they moved west to Bartlett Village. On October 10th the first of many carloads of new ties were distributed between Intervale Switch and Bartlett. The Track Crew worked almost every day until late November inserting new ties and correcting other minor defects. The initial train over the rehabilitated line from Intervale to Bartlett occurred on Friday, December 9, 1994 when No. 4266 and parlor car "Gertrude Emma" and dining car "Chocorua" ran from North Conway to Bartlett and return on a trial run. The following week, on December 16th, CSRR employees and volunteers were treated to a ride on the second trial run.

Saturday, December 17, 1994 dawned cloudy and cold as the official Inaugural Run to Bartlett departed North Conway at 10:00 AM. Over 175 VIP's and invited guests we're aboard as a steady snow began to fall. During the turning of the engine on the wye track at Bartlett, State of NH Executive Councilor Ray Burton read a proclamation congratulating the Conway Scenic Railroad for its efforts in restoring service to Bartlett, and the Crawford Notch Line. A second trip departed North Conway at 1:20 PM for the general public.
 #622110  by b&m 1566

I had that video and about 3 minutes into it, my VCR ate the tape. That was a 3, 4 years ago and it's been nothing but DVD's since. Needless to say I haven’t purchased the DVD for that video yet.
 #622193  by Otto Vondrak

The State then sought proposals from various entities to rehabilitate and operate the line for passenger excursion service. After a lengthy application process CSRR was named the designated operator, and on September 1, 1994 the State of NH and Conway Scenic Railroad signed a contract for maintenance and operation of the Crawford Notch line.
Ian MacMillan wrote:I'd love to know the other companies or persons who were in the bidding on operating the Notch Line.
So would I! I wonder if this was merely a formality in the budget process... I can't imagine there would be two excursion operators out of North Conway. Was there ever any doubt that CSRR would get the contract?
 #622265  by eriemike

I recall that Robert Morrell from Story Land was in the bidding. He had just taken delivery of the Flying Yankee around that time, so if you put two and two together :wink: I think that one reaason he did not get the nod was a lack of facilities to operate out of. Does anyone know anything different?
 #622282  by sandyriverman

eriemike wrote:(We paid our $25 fee to be an "Offical Chase Vehicle").

It was my understanding that if you wanted to take pics at the night shoot you had to "pay" for tickets to do so.

I have taken lots of photos around N Conway yard and the whole line in the past several years. I was excited about this event and wanted to get pics and video. But then heard that they were "charging" to take pics. I forgot all about it at that point. Is this a new policy?
 #622304  by eriemike

sandyriverman wrote:
eriemike wrote:(We paid our $25 fee to be an "Offical Chase Vehicle").

It was my understanding that if you wanted to take pics at the night shoot you had to "pay" for tickets to do so.

I have taken lots of photos around N Conway yard and the whole line in the past several years. I was excited about this event and wanted to get pics and video. But then heard that they were "charging" to take pics. I forgot all about it at that point. Is this a new policy?
This was what the Mass Bay RRE charged to chase the "Steam in the Snow" excursion on Saturday. What this bought you was a card to place on your dashboard saying you were an "Offical Chase Vehicle" and you also got the itinerary of where they were going to do their run-bys. You could still have chased the train and taken pictures without paying. We decided to pay simply to support their group and these kinds of trips, because if it weren't for them, there wouldn't be any steam in the snow.

As for the night photo shoot, this was a private affair that was run by a professional video company from New Jersey. They had nothing to do with the Mass Bay RRE. On our way home that night, they had all these lights set-up around #7470, which had a string of freight cars behind it. I just saw the film crew doing their thing and no other photographers.
Last edited by eriemike on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #622306  by Otto Vondrak

sandyriverman wrote:I have taken lots of photos around N Conway yard and the whole line in the past several years. I was excited about this event and wanted to get pics and video. But then heard that they were "charging" to take pics. I forgot all about it at that point. Is this a new policy?
When you want trains posed, with or without crews, in various configurations, and all lit with professional lighting setups, you pay for play. This is nothing new (and quite frankly is worth every penny).
 #622352  by Mikejf

IMHO, people that just go and take pictures all day of a tourist line or a special event without buying a ticket should be ashamed of themselves. That organization is there for a reason. Ticket sales. Without ticket sales for revenue, there might not be a train. Think about it next time you go to photograph one of these. Buy a ticket, sit back and relax. Photograph things from the train. Chase the train later. If it is a special enough train, buy a ticket for it. If you don't want to support it in some way, stay away so those that do, can get the shot they want.
Mike
 #622382  by sandyriverman

Well I think its quite presumptuous for a person who doesn't even know me to tell me what I ought to be ashamed of myself for. Thank you sir.

Just for your information I live in Bartlett, the tracks go near my house, I can hear the whistle and horns from inside my home. The trains are in town all summer. So what do I do, ignore em?

I visit the railroad often. I ride the trains, I buy copious amounts of stuff from the gift shop. We have all kinds of clothing and other items from that shop. I think I leave a fair hunk of change there to help keep the operation going.

There would be NO Conway Scenic Railroad if the State of New hampshire hadn't bought all the line when it was abandoned. And beyond that the state pumps money into maintenance on a regular basis. So who's the State of New Hampshire?

It's every man jack of us who lives here and pays taxes.

Don't tell me again I ought to be ashamed of myself.

We have all kinds of things for rich people to do in this valley while the people that work here can't hardly afford to eat at McDonalds. Try working for $8.00/hr, the prevailing local wage, and see how many trains you can afford to ride.

I would just hate to see the CSR turn into something only the well-heeled can do because I know a whole lot of people who love trains that don't have a whole lot of money.
 #622406  by cogger

Ian MacMillan wrote:I'd love to know the other companies or persons who were in the bidding on operating the Notch Line.
There was a group, who had an office in Bartlett, who advertised a Spring of 1992 operating season. I have the poster on my wall. It was called the Mountain Division Limited Partnership. There were signs all over the tracks as well warning of an operating railroad coming in the spring of 1992. I happen to have those too.
There was also a group back in the 70s who proposed a tourist train through Crawford Notch. I have that flyer and I'll have to look for it. I know the venerable Ed Clark was involved and I think Bob Morrill was too.
 #622418  by Mikejf

Sandyriverman, you missed the point. You said you support them by riding and buying from the gift shop. You are exactly the type of person I was NOT talking about. My comment was aimed more at someone who would come up just to chase the train, without buying a single ticket, without visiting the gift shop, or supporting the organization in some other way. What I'm really trying to say is that if someone went through the trouble to organize an event, why should people who don't contribute have the same opportunity to photograph as those that do.
Mike