Railroad Forums 

• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1436825  by tj48

CarterB wrote:Stuff it...mount it...hang it on a wall....and leave it alone.
After reading this thread for a long, long time I agree........
 #1436848  by gokeefe

I never realized they were trying to rebuild for Amtrak certification. That really is ridiculous.
 #1436908  by MEC407

B&M 1227 wrote:Fix it up and get it a blue card, and pawn it off to Pan Am as their new business train...
Oh God, don't give them any ideas... PAR would probably paint it blue and replace the B&M Minuteman with the Pan Am basketball...
 #1436930  by ExCon90

I don't know--it might look pretty cool if they could fit theater-car seating in the obs.
 #1445584  by MaineCoonCat

Well it seems there is another resuscitation attempt at hand.. Got the following today in an e-mail:
flying yankee logo.jpg
The Flying Yankee Restoration Group is now back on track.
We have reorganized with a new and energetic board dedicated to restoring the Flying Yankee.
The Yankee will be moving soon to a location that will allow everyone to get a closer look, in the
spring it will be opened up for tours. Keep in touch for more announcements.
This email is not just to announce our new board but to also see who is interested in getting regular
newsletters and other communications - so if you do not want to be contacted please unsubscribe
at the bottom.

Sincerely,
The Board
Tommy Robichaud - Chair
Wayne Gagnon - Secretary
Joe Santoro - Treasurer
Joseph Linquata - Membership Director
Bill Clark - Vice Chair

http://www.flyingyankee.org/
 #1445604  by gokeefe

I don't know any of these people personally but its sounds to me as if they're striking the right tone.
 #1445660  by b&m 1566

So, are they attempting to move forward with the restoration to opertion or is this the group that's to bring the display only restoration to reality?
 #1445664  by gokeefe

Tough to say based only on the above statement. Perhaps send them an email and ask ... ?
 #1445782  by Safetee

i don't see anything but "restoring" mentioned. even restoring to static is a tough road, but with the work already done it is a much easier road than restoring to operate.
 #1477885  by b&m 1566

No, the tarp was removed last year I think.
 #1487999  by p42thedowneaster

Okay, sorry to bring this up again...

So I've read the "hobo rr statement" regarding the FY, and I understand why they wished to part ways with the FY and the FYRG. It also made sense for the FYRG to bring the FY to Concord since it appeared they were unable to employ volunteers in Lincoln.

However, now that the train is staying in Lincoln...wouldn't it make more sense to keep the train on display at the Hobo rather than exposing it to all the road salt down by the welcome center?

There has been a long standing tradition of it being passed along for $1. Has the Hobo RR been offered this deal?
 #1488003  by b&m 1566

Then the Hobo would be responsible to build a multi-million dollar service facility, just for the train. The odds are stacked very high against this trainset. They can't even get the money to finish the project much less the money to construct a wye in Concord, rebuild the wye in Lincoln, possibly build another wye in Ashland and still need to build a service facility/museum. They have zero plan off action, since it clear this train will never meet Amtrak standards, so it will be locked in NH permanently. I've said it once, I'll say it again this engine needs a new fresh start from ownership on down.
 #1488007  by p42thedowneaster

That's not what I'm suggesting? Couldn't the Hobo have a fresh start with it free from the FYRG and the original goals they had? Until now I was under the impression that Hobo was just a contractor on the project. They had no ownership or future expectation to receive ridership returns.

Couldn't it be restored to scenic rail standards and kept outside like everything else?
 #1488018  by NRGeep

3rdrail wrote: As with a lot of other working restorations, I hope that the Yankee doesn't wind up rusting away in some barn after being Frankensteined some twenty or thirty years from now.
Word.