Railroad Forums 

• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1488020  by b&m 1566

p42thedowneaster wrote:That's not what I'm suggesting? Couldn't the Hobo have a fresh start with it free from the FYRG and the original goals they had? Until now I was under the impression that Hobo was just a contractor on the project. They had no ownership or future expectation to receive ridership returns.

Couldn't it be restored to scenic rail standards and kept outside like everything else?

I agree, the Yankee should have only been restored for such a purpose and no they have no ownership of it and I'm not sure they have any desire to own it, for the reasons I just mentioned in my last post. It would be kind of nice for the state to step up and put forth an effort to do something with it. Either sell it or commission another group to take over with a new mission and a new goal.
 #1488286  by NRGeep

bostontrainguy wrote:Stuff and mount it at Conway Scenic maybe?
In the big picture CSRR makes sense as the best long term Northern New England home for the FY. A good place for a static exhibit, but down the road (if they want it?) they have the infrastructure to slowly bring it back to life in some form plus it has historic roots there as well. How about it state of New Hampshire?
 #1488290  by BandA

Stuffed & mounted just like it was at Edaville isn't so bad. At CSRR you could allow tours inside on limited days when staff is available to supervise.

Ideally, a museum display of the Winton engine. Temporarily replace some of the casing with plexiglass panels, and once an hour you can push a button and the motor spins using compressed air, like a giant Visible-V8. Camera inside a cylinder. Meanwhile, install a modern prime mover, and put the thing on modern trucks if necessary, and run it in-service. Use it for mid-day runs of the Downeaster, Vermonter, etc, just like it was used for twenty years. This puppy is designed to be used, problem is it is a unicorn, probably sixty years since replacement parts were available from Budd.
Last edited by BandA on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1488316  by BandA

Good catch! The overpriced cake decorating supplier! (Actually their aluminum ware & cake decorating bags, tips etc are good quality - melting chocolates not so much)

It's interesting that the company that made the first car reliable enough to drive cross-country was not successful as an automobile builder but became the most successful locomotive engine builder EMD, now part of Caterpillar.
 #1517488  by bigblue5277

p42thedowneaster wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:20 pm I'm starting to wonder if the Yankee would be better saved as a static display after all.
Just slap some trucks on her and she'd look pretty.
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/707297/
Besides, everything can't be restored, can it?
 #1517551  by b&m 1566

It's a shame that the state has given up on this train. I don't know if there are interested buyers out there but they need to try and sell the train, its not working out anymore... better yet it hasn't worked out for the last 10 to 12 years.
 #1517678  by Safetee

without a wye, without a building to stay in, without probably another million or so to redo whats been done and then do what isnt done, without an organization with the financial and technical know how and wherewithal, the simplest cheapest plan is stationary maybe in a transportation museum like the one in maine. without any workable plan at all, scrapping becomes the unfortunate possibility.
 #1517963  by b&m 1566

Scrapping!? Let's pump the brakes a little bit here, no need to be that dramatic.
 #1517983  by Backshophoss

This is a design variant of the Pioneer Zephyr,the working question is HOW BAD was it "Hacked" at by other groups of people
to make it a "Runner" type rebuild
If it's too far gone,find a good home for a "stuffed and mounted" display with a possible interior rebuild of a coach and the engine/cab spaces.
remember,the Pioneer Zephyr is "stuffed and mounted" in Chicago.
 #1517992  by b&m 1566

Whether it gets stuffed and mounted or brought back to operation, isn't the real issue here. The issue comes as a politically motivated campaign by a state representative to stonewall all efforts to restore the Flying Yankee and to prevent the Flying Yankee Restoration Group from accepting any type of donation. This is the type of BS that was bound to happen and this is exactly why the state needs to sell it.