Railroad Forums 

• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1519547  by edbear

The Flying Yankee, Unit 6000, was taken off the Boston-Portland route during World War II because of its limited capacity. Boston and Portland were big Navy ports and the passenger ridership increased dramatically.
 #1519567  by gokeefe

Much appreciated. Good to hear from you Mr. edbear.
 #1519657  by BandA

CSRR would be a great place to store the Flying Yankee if they have room. If they get it running (it would need a replacement prime mover to be practical, apparently, as the Winton would be higher-maintenance) it might attract some riders.
 #1519670  by gokeefe

Has the RDC ever run up to Bartlett or the Notch?
 #1519677  by arthur d.

Seem to recall one of the groups (MBRRE?) doing a charter a few years ago. Think they only made it to Notchland or forth iron with all seats filled.
 #1519707  by b&m 1566

I believe that charter went across Frankenstein Trestle and was shadowed by 252, where on the return trip 252 was latched up for the dynamic braking.
 #1519731  by b&m 1566

They use Millie to handle the weekday departures in May until Memorial Day weekend. They use to use it for the week day trips towards the end of October but not sure if that's the plan for this year. The Conway Scenic is becoming more and more busy every year, right through the entire month of October, so they might be using the regular valley consist the entire month.
Not railroad related at all but a few years ago, I got word that that there were efforts to try and start a Pumpkin Festival of some type to be held in N. Conway, the last weekend in October, I haven't heard much since, but if it happens, it will come with some competition for sure because you still have the original festival in Laconia and now Keene is bring it back this year. An event like that (especially if its held right in front of the station), will surely drum up more business for the Conway Scenic.
 #1519749  by gokeefe

Did/does the Flying Yankee have dynamic brakes? I don't think so but I wonder nonetheless.
 #1519763  by BandA

The Flying Yankee, with it's three-car fixed consist, is kinda like a bigger version of an RDC! Just sayin'...
 #1519786  by gokeefe

In many ways it is with the exception of bi-directional operations.
 #1519799  by arthur d.

b&m 1566 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 am I believe that charter went across Frankenstein Trestle and was shadowed by 252, where on the return trip 252 was latched up for the dynamic braking.
I'm thinking of a different trip, went south of Conway into the bushes till the driver was afraid of scratching the paint on the end, then turned, went north and east to Redstone, until same thing, didn't want to scratch the paint, then up towards the notch, where, just beyond one of the bridges, it didn't have the power to continue. Returning to N. Conway, we were given a tour of the engine house and permitted to visit 7470's cab. This trip was before it went down for the rebuild which might help to date it..
 #1519808  by b&m 1566

Would that be the same trip, where riders were let off in Bartlett to tour the wye?
 #1519877  by arthur d.

Riders were let off to gawk at the old MEC turntable pit on the east side of N. Conway, then the Budd car went east a bit and posed for photo's, returned, picked everyone up and went as far east as the driver dared, then reversed, meeting an inbound train at Intervale before heading toward the notch. Somewhere around third or forth iron, it stalled, I recall one of the Detroits was having problems, and we did not stop to see the wye in Bartlett. If we had, I would have walked, photographed, and remembered it.