Railroad Forums 

• Hartford, CT area railroad questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#589246  by bwparker1

Driving on I-91 north out of the city, I always see the Hartford Salt Pile that is a transload operation, I would assume it is served by CSOR. Is it usual to store salt out in the open with no cover, as is the case with this stockpile? Usually, road salt is covered at some DOT maintenance shed. I am just curious about how well the pile stands up to weather.

- Brooks
Last edited by bwparker1 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #589304  by OneForTheKick

Some salt can be treated and exposed, as is the case with some of the piles down in Maryland and that general region.

Usually the salt will have a colored appearance if that's the case.
 #589438  by slashmaster

There use to be a pile like that in West Upton Mass. A dump truck would fill up from cars on the Grafton and Upton and back up the salt pile to dump at the top, making the pile bigger each time. They also have a building they put the salt in too. I'm guessing they put the salt in the building a certain amount of time to dry before they put it in the salt trucks to spread on the street. If I'm not mistaken I think they covered the salt pile with a bunch of tarps a few times too.
 #589440  by slashmaster

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, what was once a huge pile of salt is down to absolutley nothing last time I checked. yet evey winter trucks are still spreading salt around here so I have no idea where it comes from. If anyone knows please let me know.
 #589486  by QB 52.32

Some time back in the late 90's, IIRC, the mine in upstate NY that supplied road salt to places like W.Upton on the G&U, closed down or collapsed (something happened) disrupting their production. In response, I believe that much of the road salt began to be sourced out of Canada and transported via barge or coastal ships. Like many commodities, these transactions occur under long-term contract, so, even though new road salt production is coming from upstate NY, the supply and distribution system is fixed in place and might take time, if at all, to change back. There is road salt from upstate NY coming into New England by rail, so maybe it has to do with the supplier and supply chain serving each particular end-user.
 #589626  by boatsmate

I cqan try to answer some of the quesrions concerning the road salt, first, it can be stored out side or in no difference, no is it treated that I am aware of. There are two large salt companies here in East Boston that receive salt by ship. One company keepsw theres covered all the time, the other keeps one pile covered and the other (the working pile) uncoverd. it is easier th work the pile if it is not covered. Most cities and towns keep thier salt piles in large buildings for several reasons. ranging from envirormental to loss prevention. (ie the general publick helping them selves to it). on the last part you would not believe how many people come to the town yards and get salt and sand mix. When I working in Neddham (for the DPW) we keeped ours locked up and left only a small pale out side for the residents. the only thing that happens to salt left out side is that it tends to make large chunks that will not go through the sanders. some of it will melt also but it does take ahile to happen.

Mass coastal (old Bay colony) in taunton receives car loads of salt by train and unloads them not sure if there is a building or not. when I picked up salt there back inthe 80's there was not.
 #596471  by bobbarbn

The locomotive you see is GP-9 ex-MBTA 905 owned by A.J. Belliveau (Central New England RR). I was part of the crew that went to Boston to ready it for transport to CT. Theives had stripped it of most of the copper tubing for air, etc and copper wires. We put in enough copper to get the air working for transport and welded on some covers here and there. It was brought to Hartford to possibly be reborn into a CNE 905 to assist sister 1922 (in service and also an ex-MBTA engine). It appears that work on the 905 may be stalled or it is now a parts store on wheels.

The passanger car located there is owned by Belliveau's brother and used to be a diner in Rhode Island until moved to CT and restored.
 #596494  by bwparker1

bobbarbn wrote:The locomotive you see is GP-9 ex-MBTA 905 owned by A.J. Belliveau (Central New England RR). I was part of the crew that went to Boston to ready it for transport to CT. Theives had stripped it of most of the copper tubing for air, etc and copper wires. We put in enough copper to get the air working for transport and welded on some covers here and there. It was brought to Hartford to possibly be reborn into a CNE 905 to assist sister 1922 (in service and also an ex-MBTA engine). It appears that work on the 905 may be stalled or it is now a parts store on wheels.

The passanger car located there is owned by Belliveau's brother and used to be a diner in Rhode Island until moved to CT and restored.
Thanks Bob. Who owns that track? Is it the state, or is it private, as it is past the switch into the complex. Also, does that loading dock see much action? - Brooks
 #596551  by bobbarbn

I believe the State still owns that track....a.k.a. Hartford Industrial Track. Most opf the dock is now not used, especially since the new addition to the Regional Market went up a few years ago. Unfortunately, most of the produce is trucked these days. I can remember strings of refer cars there many years ago. There used to be an oil loading/unloading operation at the very south end of the platform. Not sure if it is still there, though. Murphy Road Recyclers , just south of this facility is quite active.
 #664837  by Lincoln78

Saw a Guilford freight heading eastbound in Plainville a little before nine this morning (Saturday 4/25). The lone engine was marked MEC (didn't get number, don't know types). I wasn't too close so I couldn't read much. The train has about three gondolas, at least one with scrap metal, and about ten tankers. Couldn't read the writing on the tanker. Was not going fast.

Nice to see life on that track.
 #664855  by atsf sp

bobbarbn wrote:The locomotive you see is GP-9 ex-MBTA 905 owned by A.J. Belliveau (Central New England RR). I was part of the crew that went to Boston to ready it for transport to CT. Theives had stripped it of most of the copper tubing for air, etc and copper wires. We put in enough copper to get the air working for transport and welded on some covers here and there. It was brought to Hartford to possibly be reborn into a CNE 905 to assist sister 1922 (in service and also an ex-MBTA engine). It appears that work on the 905 may be stalled or it is now a parts store on wheels.

I went by that place about three weekends ago. Both tof the pennsy cars and 905 were gone. I was really surprised. Does anyone know where 905 went.
 #664910  by CannaScrews

Lincoln78 wrote:Saw a Guilford freight heading eastbound in Plainville a little before nine this morning (Saturday 4/25). The lone engine was marked MEC (didn't get number, don't know types). I wasn't too close so I couldn't read much. The train has about three gondolas, at least one with scrap metal, and about ten tankers.
Nice to see life on that track.
The loaded gon was from Albert Brothers in Waterbury & was switched out on Friday, I was told.

Scrap prices are way down [about $.038/100#] for #1 prepared steel so there is a string of gons on the bridge over the Naugatuck River going into Albert Brothers. Easily seen on Rt 8 going north north of I-84.

They are there because there is no scrap traffic to speak of out of AB. Guaranteed - they are getting a new paint job courtesy of the local Urban Degenerates. The only bright side in this economy, keeping the paint manufactures producing. Oh, yes, they [the degenerates] have moved up in the world and are now using paint rollers and gallon cans of paint as well as the traditional spray cans. No easel & palette for these small-gonad equipped guys - just cranking out in production quantities. Even though the shade of burgundy used as background under the Huntingdon Ave overpass in Waterbury was particularly attractive.

"They're coming to take me away .... Ha Ha!"