Railroad Forums 

• CNZR - Armory Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#983559  by RonM

ETM is not served by CNZR. That is a private crossing. From what I have heard and this isn't gospel, for some reason ETM will not allow the crossing to be closed to install the track as it would disrupt thier business. One access point I guess. I am not aware of the reason. That situation has been going on for a looong time. The 2 northern most crossings at Moody Rd and Shaker RD were (are) to be paved over as they are hazards to motor vehicles. The bridge at STR needs redecking. It's too bad CNZR cannot score one or two steady customers up that way. That would give that line the boost that it needs and there is sooo much potential with (potential) customers already there it's not even funny ETM being one of them.
 #986801  by Larry

Manchester line was being worked on today, just past I-84 bridge heading east. New ties being put in and looks like they may do some road crossings as well.
 #986955  by Noel Weaver

Strange thing about this line is that it could have been a main through freight route between Springfield, Hartford and Cedar Hill. It provided for a straightaway freight move at Springfield from the EB B & A to Hartford without a reverse move or a runaround all of which consume much time especially in a congested area like Springfield. For one or two trains a day they probably could have done some track work and crossing protection and been done with it. I guess Penn Central decided it was not worth the expense of upgrading this line and did the Beacon Branch which involved less trackage but had other problems. Too late now with trackage on the north end of this line gone.
Noel Weaver
 #987016  by CVRA7

Noel, I can verify that it was crossings and trackwork that prevented that from happening. Joe Daly (NH/PC/CR/AMTK Trainmaster in Hartford) told me that the PC looked into this for the same reasons you mentioned but decided not to, due to "100 grade crossings" (must have included any farm crossings that were on the books!) plus light (74-78-79 lb per yard) rail on much of the line. Instead - at least for awhile - they used a caboose on each end of the train to help with the runaround, IIRC.
Back during this era I seem to remember 3 or 4 long freights in each direction as the Maybrook gateway was phased out then eliminated after the Poughkeepsie Bridge fire.
 #987070  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Noel Weaver wrote:Strange thing about this line is that it could have been a main through freight route between Springfield, Hartford and Cedar Hill. It provided for a straightaway freight move at Springfield from the EB B & A to Hartford without a reverse move or a runaround all of which consume much time especially in a congested area like Springfield. For one or two trains a day they probably could have done some track work and crossing protection and been done with it. I guess Penn Central decided it was not worth the expense of upgrading this line and did the Beacon Branch which involved less trackage but had other problems. Too late now with trackage on the north end of this line gone.
Noel Weaver
CDOT still hasn't removed the item about cooperation with state of MA for restoring the Armory connection from the long-term portion of its recently revised state rail plan, even though they've been shot down by MA a couple times already and Longmeadow's now trailing it over. It'll never be outright blocked as the gas main running underneath keeps building foundations off the ROW, but they've encroached about as close as they can get and put all manner of private parks and driveways there. Sucks because Amtrak charges such a fortune for overhead freight that it's constraining CSO's expansion, was one of the reasons PAR cut back to 1 day a week, and is preventing CNZR from being able to afford to interchange in Springfield. I'm not sure what the point is for continuing to chomp at that bit, but I wonder if CDOT's keeping that on the plan as an expressed written paper placeholder on the 0.001% chance Amtrak starts barking about booting freight traffic onto a bypass if/when the line's up to HSR speeds. And then hoping MA is motivated enough with Fed teeth to make a go at those individual encroaching parcels in Springfield. Highly, highly remote but Amtrak's already requiring the Busway to vacate their ROW whenever they deem it necessary to tri-track the line. I can't imagine the line owner's going to get more welcoming of freight traffic over time, esp. with future electrification imposing permanent height restrictions.

I don't think it'll happen, but this is Exhibit Q of why Mass needs the state rail plan it's drafting now. They've been totally incoherent on preservation policy, identifying on public record which ROW's might be needed in the future, and letting the locals eat the infrastructure alive via their own disorganization. CT's official plan is refreshingly direct by comparison: "These are the potential future reactivation corridors: here, here, here, and here. Any questions?"
 #988913  by RonM

Supposedly, word on the street was there is/was a *potential** customer along with a marketing manager. But no official word that I'm aware of. Only foamer speculation. I'll say it again, the line is there along with several opprotunities. Two oil dealers, a cement plant, lumber, Tilcon Galasco Roncari, etc. PC and Guilford alienated alot of the business IMHO. Mead Westvaco is one example. For awhile CNZR was storing tankcars in Scantic but they have left the property.

In my fantasy world... commuter line Enfield to East Hartford with one of those fancy hybrid locos and 2 coaches.
 #989682  by william goff

RonM wrote:ETM is not served by CNZR. That is a private crossing. From what I have heard and this isn't gospel, for some reason ETM will not allow the crossing to be closed to install the track as it would disrupt thier business. One access point I guess. I am not aware of the reason. That situation has been going on for a looong time. The 2 northern most crossings at Moody Rd and Shaker RD were (are) to be paved over as they are hazards to motor vehicles. The bridge at STR needs redecking. It's too bad CNZR cannot score one or two steady customers up that way. That would give that line the boost that it needs and there is sooo much potential with (potential) customers already there it's not even funny ETM being one of them.
A.J. Asked me to correct a few points after reading the post on the Armory about New Ties. ETM has been very good to work with and is not hampering the CNE at all. We will get back on that project in the spring. The recession and the massive storms have set the CNE back a bit. Our white Quonset Hut "paint booth" followed by a large washout on the Armory for instance. Car loadings are starting to rise as the country moves along the recession.

Second, there are no crossings that will be paved over. The rougher ride crossings have been fixed and the CNE and State Rail Officials have met with the towns that were concerned with a reopening of the line. The rough rides were caused by the towns building up the road on the crossing approaches leaving the track in a "hole" making for a fun ride for motorists.

Take Care
 #994973  by Larry

I just visted the area that was shown above and ran into AJ loading one of his hoppers with new ballast. The place he is working on is just North of where he is loading and it looks fabulous. He really does a great job when he gets the time and some money. I just wish the state would help him out with more money so he could build this line faster. Hopefully he can continue this rehab he is trying to do of this important rail link.
 #1016455  by thebigham

I visited the Armory Branch on Jan. 30.

A lot of tree limbs are down on the tracks around Hazardville.
 #1036329  by Ale Rider1

There are three transformers on eight axle depressed center flats as the very end of the Griffin Line. These arrived within the last week - I had seen two of them in Hartford yard last week. I was also intrigued by some centerbeam flats for the Home Depot distro, center presumably, that were about half full on both sides with something tarped in blue. It must be heavier than lumber, otherwise they would be full?? My guess is roofing shingles???
 #1179897  by liamneuser

Hey Guys, It's been a while since anybody's replied to this Subject, but is there any new news? Are they still working on the line? I drove through the Rt. 190 Crossing in Scitico, and it doesn't look like they've done any work...

--Liam
 #1184444  by RonM

The private crossing at Enfield Transit Mix (South of there, parallel to Broad Brook Road/191) is still out of service so it will be awhile before they are able cross 190 with a train from my observations going by there yesterday.