Railroad Forums 

• CNZR - Armory Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#580077  by bwparker1

What else is going on with CNZR? I moved to CT about 3 months ago, have seen the end of the Griffin branch and followed the Armory Branch via maps.live.com. At both ends, there seems to be a lot of track equipment and materials stockpiled. Why? On the Griffin line, the Home Depot Warehouse is the only customer, yet there has been a ton of track work on the branch over the past 10 years. When my parents moved here 11 years ago, there was no warning signal across Cottage Grove Road, but today, there is a really nice Warning Light System. The track also looks a ton better... but all paid for by the revenues from just one customer? Also, the amount of track work equipment seems like a lot for a small operation. I am not bashing it at all, I think it is great, but I am just curious how so much work can be performed based off of the revenues of so few customers.

Brooks
 #580336  by RonM

The reason there is so much track equipment and materials is because the Belliveau family started out as and still to continue to do railroad construction and repair. The Griffin line is 100 times better than say 15 years ago... HD is not the only customer on the Griffin, the is a waste oil filter customer (occasionally), another customer who is not identified just South of Bloomfield center, and at one time a petroleum (aspahlt) customer that occasionally (rarely) receives a car. That signal at Cottage Grove was definately needed. Cottage Grove has developed significantly over the last 25 years and alot more traffic on that road. Very dangerous to cross there as people whiz by at 60+ and oblivious to what is going on around them while they drink their coffee, text, put on make-up whatever. The State of CT owns the line and provides $$ to keep the line going. It's a very nice railroad with an interesting history. At Tariffville, there was a branch that went to Agawam Jct, Ma. You should read the story of that line "The Montague Farm Incident". Any good library should have Connecticut Railroads in their collection, look into the Central New England Chapter.
 #580797  by etna9726b

I drive Rts 140 and 191 frequently. I think a lot of what you see on the Armory branch is just outdoor storage, not staging.
 #585061  by xtcbct

Much of the track equipment is just stored on the line...as for the concrete ties and Armory Branch plans....they will be used for that line eventually. Its just a question of when. Rising highway transportation costs may cause this to happen sooner rather than later.

Xian
 #585765  by thebigham

What issue of Railfan/Railorad had the article on the CNZR?

Using Live Search, the Griffins line uses EMD power. It is kept at the very end of track.

The Hazardville line uses Alco power. How far noth does the CNZR operate on this line? The track ends right at the CT/MA state line.
 #585840  by RonM

I believe Crop Production Services in the Scantic section of East Windsor is as far as service goes. There has been reports of track work taking place north of there into Broad Brook over the years. I had heard that Enfield Transit mix in Enfield was getting a switch put in but have yet to see this but has not been confirmed. This line has a lot of potential. 2 oil dealers, a concrete facility, Mead Westvaco (though it has been reported never again thanks to PC and BM), Hallmark Cards, etc could have service if they wanted it. That's just in CT. If you go into Longmeadow (no track) there is an industrial area there but the further you go in, you start hitting development with no chance of making Springfield which is too bad.
 #585895  by thebigham

^Thanks. A lot of businesss with trucks are next to the tracks.

The track in MA has been removed.
 #587159  by carltrain

The connecticut department of transportation has declared its desire to re-establish the connection between E. Longmeadow MA,and Enfield CT to provide an alternate route between Hartford and Springfield for freight,work trains,passenger detours and deadhead moves.The right of way is still there though there have been some parking lots paved over it.One bridge that was lowered , will also need to be raised back up over the right of way.This will aid greatly in the future plans for commuter service on the springfield line, and future development potential for Connecticut and Massachusetts along this rail line.
 #587538  by CannaScrews

Wooie!

No S**t Sherlock.

Verry interesting.

How are the 7 miles in Mass going to be placed in service since B&M/Guilford/St/Pan-Am/PAS/PAR owns the line or has sold it by now.....
 #587859  by shadyjay

carltrain wrote:The connecticut department of transportation has declared its desire to re-establish the connection between E. Longmeadow MA,and Enfield CT to provide an alternate route between Hartford and Springfield for freight,work trains,passenger detours and deadhead moves.The right of way is still there though there have been some parking lots paved over it.One bridge that was lowered , will also need to be raised back up over the right of way.This will aid greatly in the future plans for commuter service on the springfield line, and future development potential for Connecticut and Massachusetts along this rail line.
That sounds like it would've been found in Rumourpace :-D
Still, its a practical alternative for the SPG Line.... if it was still in one piece.
Then again, maybe it'd be a good oversize/high&wide route if the SPG line is ever electrified, then you could go B&A to Armory to Conn Valley to Air Line to Cedar Hill.
 #588106  by bobbarbn

Easier said than done. A view of the extinct portion of the Armory Branch through Mass. shows that not only have parking lots been built over the R.O.W, but several buildings, as well. NOt sure if the R.O.W. was sold or just encroached upon.

In addition, any train trying to get from Springfield to Cedar Hill would have to have power on both ends when it reached Middletown (or a LONG runaround track installed) since there is no direct head-end connection from the Valley Branch to the Airline (Middletown Branch) at Middletown. All trains have to go south of the diamond, then make a reverse move to Cedar Hill up the quadrant switch. Then there is the issue of the tracks crossing two major exits off Rte. 9, which a train longer than 15 cars would foul as the reverse move was being made.

Also, there are several crossings south of Wethersfield that would have to be signalized, as they are now stop-and-protect. Considering the cost of this project and the economy, I would imagine that this is one of the lowest priority projects (if still considered at all) on the State's list. I wonder if the Stae will even complete the proposed (and supposedly approved) commuter line between New Haven and Hartford (potentially Springfield) on the AMTRAK Springfield Line, at this point in time.
 #588174  by carltrain

The armory branch cannot be built on with any structure because of the pipeline that runs along its right of way.The one individual who owns a small section indicated he is willing to work with the state of massachusetts in whatever they wanted to do,of which the state reserves the right any way.The state of Mass. gave me personally, no indication they didn't have the "ability" to restore the tracks. This is no rumor. Though recently reported on by railpace,several months ago I was personally told by an official in CDOT that this line was of interest to them. It was recently announced in response to the N.Southern Panam merger announcement.The state of CT. does have a say in this merger approval.
 #593111  by RonM

Track work being done at Broad Brook Rd crossing (RT191) at Enfield Transit Mix. Alleghany Lundrum <sp>? 25T GE with side dump car was on-site. I had thought this privately owned GE was sold and gone? Looks like the GE that once resided in Torrington.