Railroad Forums 

• The Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Club

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#579936  by Bartlett Roundhouse

gokeefe wrote:PORRTrainman1888:

How are things coming? Have you been able to obtain sufficient funds for liability insurance? Are you looking for further funding to meet other goals? I think there are a lot of people that are really interested in your project that might like to know. I checked the website again and there didn't seem to be anything further at this point beyond the listing on the NH Register and your IRS Registration, both of which are huge steps. Congratulations on a sucessful month.
We have had insurance for some time now. Although it appears on the website as being recent, we have been registered with the IRS, NH Charitable Trusts, State of NH incorperation division, State of NH DOT:Bureau of rail and transit and other agencys for months.

Things are starting to slow down. We have had to scrap the idea of a museum as there is not enough support for it. The roof needs replacement, we are currently waiting on the State to provide a user agreement to us so we can legally do work on the building. I was told last week we would hear from the State in 2 weeks, but sometimes they get busy with other things.

We are planning some work sessions on weekends in October to clear some trees Sandyriverman is our resident expert with the chainsaw, so we'll take a wirl at getting the brush and trees around and behing the building removed before winter.

We need more members. Thats where most of our funding comes from. People always say "I'll Join" but they seldom do. We have 40+ members now, most of them live out of State and can not do work at the site, some don't like the idea of signing an Insurance waiver before they can come on site.

Folks keep trying to give me equipment, either thier own or equipment they dont even own, they do not realize that the roundhouse is close to death, this winter, if it's rough could do it in and that our main goal is the saving and rehab of the only remaining P&O roundhouse on the planet.

We need members and people willing to work under the guidelines set in place by the State of NH and the Bartlett Roundhouse Club. We have been doing fundraisers, but that money gets gobbled up in insurance costs and paperwork fees and other needs.

We do not have an estimate on the cost of the roof. We can not get estimates untill we have a user agreement in place with the State. Even then we need more than 6 members showing up to do the work. This is a hands on project.

So the project is begining to Stall. We only have a small membership and untill we get more members, it wont and cant proceed.

We have negotiated with the CSRR for 2 old retired pieces of equipment, MEC outside braced wooden boxcar 35059 and CSRR (Ex MEC/EX-PT) Wooden Russell snow plow # 68.These will arrive after the CSRR's regular season is complete and will be stored on the track leading into the Roundhouse. 35059 will be our work/tool car and the snowplow will provide shelter and rest area for people up there working in the summer. These both need extensive repair, but if enough funds are raised it can be done, while work on the roundhouse proceeds.
 #579969  by 4266

I tried to join but couldn't figure out how to do it through the website. perhaps others have had this problem? It may be time to update the site... How do I join?
 #579972  by Bartlett Roundhouse

4266 wrote:I tried to join but couldn't figure out how to do it through the website. perhaps others have had this problem? It may be time to update the site... How do I join?
You cant send cash or join via the website, it is still under construction. However you can join by sending check or money order for $ 10.00 per person to:

Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Club
P.O. Box 16
Bartlett, N.H. 03812
[email protected]
 #579991  by Otto Vondrak

Everyone's ready to start a museum and shove equipment into the roundhouse, but is anyone available to come out and perform actual work to save the roundhouse first?

Has the building been evaluated? What has to be done to the structure that volunteers are capable of?

http://www.bartlettroundhouseproject.co ... se_pre.htm
 #580005  by Bartlett Roundhouse

Otto Vondrak wrote:Everyone's ready to start a museum and shove equipment into the roundhouse, but is anyone available to come out and perform actual work to save the roundhouse first?

Has the building been evaluated? What has to be done to the structure that volunteers are capable of?

http://www.bartlettroundhouseproject.co ... se_pre.htm
that's what we are waiting on from the State, the user agreement to allow us to work on the building and apply for funding to do so.

As for what volenteers could do: Right now we can clear brush and trees as well as mow the property, we can clear the litter out of the roundhouse, we can remove the old wallboard on Stall 4's wall, which is a thin type of board 1/4 inch thick, we can remove the sand and salt piles that remain in stall 4 and spread them out back over areas of soil that need to be covered. We can look over the property and save any articles of historic relivance. Thats all for now and ANYONE that wanted to help with that work will have to sign a release of liability waiver for the State of NH as well as the club. These waivers release all liability from any injury suffered on property by someone and if god forbid someone got killed, thier heirs could not sue the State of NH, these waivers are demanded by the owners of the building, the State DOT.

The building has been evaluated, but not recently. The BRHPC needs to have the user agreement in place BEFORE we can proceed with having an engineer come in to evaluate it, the entire roof needs replacement, we need the user agreement before we can engage a roofer to come up and give us an estimate.
Everything has to be done in order and legally, untill we obtain the user agreement, which is pending, the items I mentioned before are all we are allowed to do.
 #582659  by Bartlett Roundhouse

The BRHPC recieved a temporary user agreement to begin work on the Bartlett Roundhouse, this past Friday. Dated September 11, 2008 this 3 page document allows the BRHPC to work on the building and maintain the property for 2 years, with a 1 year extention available. We have been negotiating and will be recieving the permanent loan of Ex MEC outside braced wooden boxcar 35059 and ex MEC/PT CSRR Wooden snow plow # 68, and have been granted permission by the Bureau of Rail and Transit, to store them on the enginehouse lead, withing 80 feet of the building. The BRHPC must erect 200' of metal fencing, to be placed in the following manner 100 feet west of the roundhouse, 100 feet east of the roundhouse. The fencing will begin at the front corner and will extend to the siding and the rear corner and extend back. This will deter people from crossing the active rail line to get to the roundhouse. We have a new newsgroup as our web page is kaput.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/b ... useproject

And so begins years of work and struggle, in the end it will be all worth it.

Thanks for all your support,
Scotty Mallett
President
BRHPC
Last edited by Bartlett Roundhouse on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #582898  by NHN503

Nice, to hear! Keep up the good work!

Scott, might you be able to tag along for the CVRTC trackcar ride on the line in the end of October? I may have some spots avail in my car.
 #609394  by Bartlett Roundhouse

Otto Vondrak wrote:Any activities planned through the end of the year?
No more work on the Roundhouse is planned untill next spring, over the winter we will be doing administrative things and try to come up with a website that costs nothing as we can not afford a monthly fee.
 #628671  by gokeefe

PORRTrainman1888 wrote:No more work on the Roundhouse is planned untill next spring, over the winter we will be doing administrative things and try to come up with a website that costs nothing as we can not afford a monthly fee.
Are you in need of another round of small donations for assistance? What is the current fiscal health of the organization? This time of year people might have an extra $10 lying around to help out. Even in bad times efforts like these must at least survive so that they can thrive when the good times come back again, as they always do.
 #632112  by p&w3901

PORRTrainman1888 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Any activities planned through the end of the year?
No more work on the Roundhouse is planned untill next spring, over the winter we will be doing administrative things and try to come up with a website that costs nothing as we can not afford a monthly fee.
What about a group on Yahoo? Then you could send out emails to the people in the group to keep them updated. You can also restrict membership if necessary, and there is no charge to have a group there.
 #633218  by Otto Vondrak

PORRTrainman1888 wrote:we will be doing administrative things and try to come up with a website that costs nothing as we can not afford a monthly fee.
Still waiting to hear back from the club after I offered to help with this aspect. Perhaps they are hibernating? :-D
 #633666  by Bartlett Roundhouse

Otto Vondrak wrote:
PORRTrainman1888 wrote:we will be doing administrative things and try to come up with a website that costs nothing as we can not afford a monthly fee.
Still waiting to hear back from the club after I offered to help with this aspect. Perhaps they are hibernating? :-D
Hi Otto, It went before the board today, via e-mail to some, I am waiting for the replys. Thanks again for your offer, will let you know when all the votes have been tallied.

Scotty