Railroad Forums 

• Fletcher Granite Quarry and Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1128827  by MEC407

No worries! Occasionally in the past people have needed something done and wondered why I didn't do it immediately; with all the forums I moderate it's easy to overlook a thread every now and then. PMs get my attention more quickly, that's all. :)
 #1128855  by NellsChoo

They HAVE had some inbound action? I noticed the ROW was just a wee bit less overgrown than I expected, but it seems there are way too many trees and bushes to get in the way on the sides. I'd like to know for sure if the spur off the Stony Brook is actually being used. That would be quite a catch!
 #1129324  by newpylong

Well, I said it is active. Not sure if they are cars now but when they get them they come in big slugs of NS gons on ED495, dropped with the Lowells in Lowell. Then an westbound makes the switch... in the fall they got a dozen or so.
 #1133503  by NellsChoo

Nifty! I sure would like to see the switcher along that spur! Oddly enough, after I took that photo, for kicks I took the road across from the crossing, and ended up at the main Fletcher road crossing (I always forget the route #!!), and their switcher had JUST gone through! I saw it dissapearing off into the quarry...

I assume, then, that when loads/empties are spotted on that spur, Pan Am power does not go any farther than the switch off the main, and the switcher takes it from there?
 #1133642  by newpylong

Pan Am doesn't go any further north than the runaround just a few hundred feet off the Stony Brook. The switcher will come down and get a couple loads at a time, as that is all it can handle (it's pretty steep).
 #1405891  by Maha

Hope it is kosher to bump this thread, I am a model railroader and am incorporating this quarry as a module on my next build. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the internal switching of this industrial railroad? Perhaps notes on what Spurs ship blocks versus slabs to the cutting house (have seen photos of both types of loads). Also the usage of the spur Inbetween the top/low levels of the quarry. Perhaps someone knows what the tent like structure with a spur in it is used for? Not much information on ops here but would love to learn more if anyone has any first hand experience or knows someone who can point me in the right direction! Thanks!
 #1406090  by arthur d.

elecuyer wrote:
Fletcher Quarry was known for many years as the "resting place" for two ex-B&M 0-6-0 switchers. One is now on display in Lowell, Ma.; the other in New York State. In fact, B&M 410 was the last 'cargo' that used the Guilford connection, prior to its restoration. The 410 was shipped by rail to the Billerica shops, then eventually to Lowell. The second switcher (411?) went out of the quarry by truck.
The other is the #444, a G-11b. A more modern version of the #410, (G-11a) it has piston valves and a squared tender. It went home to its birthplace in Dunkirk NY, where the ALCo Brooks plant was. Its on display at the fairgrounds there. A crew associated with the Dunkirk historical society takes care of her.
 #1406252  by RonM

Maha wrote:Hope it is kosher to bump this thread, I am a model railroader and am incorporating this quarry as a module on my next build. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the internal switching of this industrial railroad? Perhaps notes on what Spurs ship blocks versus slabs to the cutting house (have seen photos of both types of loads). Also the usage of the spur Inbetween the top/low levels of the quarry. Perhaps someone knows what the tent like structure with a spur in it is used for? Not much information on ops here but would love to learn more if anyone has any first hand experience or knows someone who can point me in the right direction! Thanks!
While rummaging through some B&M Bulletins at Train show yesterday, the Spring 79 issue had a 2 page write-up on the Fletcher Quarry. I didn't read or purchase the issue (poor lighting and the table was facing the cold elements, so it was quite drafty) but I posted this as a public service announcement as something to possibly seek out. If you google The B&M Historical Society (I had thought it would have been a link in the Fallen Flags board area) I believe they had a list of what articles appeared when so maybe there are other issues on Fletchers. Good luck!
 #1407463  by NashuaActon&Boston

The late Westford RR historian, Arnold Wilder, wrote an article for the Spring 1979 B&M Bulletin - Wilder, H. Arnold. "The H. E. Fletcher Company." B&M Bulletin 8, No. 3 (Spring 1979), 13-14 [on railroads and the West Chemlsford quarry operation]. Additionally there's an article on the H.E. Fletcher quarry rail operation in a circa 1950s-1960s issue of the B&M employee magazine. I'll have to search for it, but will provide details when it's located. Short article as I remember. Also, to provide an answer to a question posed years ago in this thread, the Fletcher family of Westford sold their majority stake in the Quarry in 1985.
Andrew
 #1407621  by b&m 1566

Does anybody know what the grade is for the ROW near route 40? It looks pretty steep.