Railroad Forums 

• 2 Steamers, abandoned in the Maine Woods

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#737317  by oibu

^ It's not like the passtime of the typical Mainah is tracking down abadnoned locos in the woods. For sure, there are people in both these towns who'd know exactlly where they are. Nevertheless, the cross-section of the population who would know, as a percentage, is still probably pretty small. Lots of people probably know ABOUT them... but few have actually seen or located them personally.
 #737912  by Terry Harper

oibu wrote:^ It's not like the passtime of the typical Mainah is tracking down abadnoned locos in the woods. For sure, there are people in both these towns who'd know exactlly where they are. Nevertheless, the cross-section of the population who would know, as a percentage, is still probably pretty small. Lots of people probably know ABOUT them... but few have actually seen or located them personally.
And many who do amazingly have no idea where they are! Witch is a pain in the @%# when your slogging through a swamp to find something they claim to have seen but can't recall where :-D
 #738562  by luong

Terry, when I was there, it had rained quite a bit before too. I did turn right at the tracks but then they became very wet, so I turned back before seeing anything interesting. Thanks for the tip, if I return I'll be sure to check them.

I was also surprised that the clearing was so well maintained, as the trail was certainly not. In fact, I wished it had been a bit more overgrown, so that the place would look more wild and reclaimed by nature.

The person who was manning the visitor center/chamber of commerce in Greenville knew about the locomotives. However, when I asked him directions, he gave me a publication that had history, but no directions at all. He didn't know where they are.

Tuan.
 #739086  by oibu

And many who do amazingly have no idea where they are! Witch is a pain in the @%# when your slogging through a swamp to find something they claim to have seen but can't recall where
I think that's just a universal human condition, Terry :wink: If I could have a nickel for every time I'ver heard "oh, yeah that.... I know what you mean... aw geeze, now where was it??? I don't remember how I got there..."
 #742236  by Terry Harper

luong wrote:Terry, when I was there, it had rained quite a bit before too. I did turn right at the tracks but then they became very wet, so I turned back before seeing anything interesting. Thanks for the tip, if I return I'll be sure to check them.

I was also surprised that the clearing was so well maintained, as the trail was certainly not. In fact, I wished it had been a bit more overgrown, so that the place would look more wild and reclaimed by nature.
There is somewhat of a trail up and along the north bank of the cut that will get you around the wet spot. In regards to being reclaimed by nature with this whole project we had to juggle two seemingly opposing views. The need to preserve the artifacts v. the need to protect the remote wilderness characteristics. At the same time the project was drawn into the heated debate over increased access and the mandate to promote wilderness characteristics. For instance there was one side of the argument that felt strongly that the locomotives should be removed and displayed in Millinocket. This of course would have provided for preservation of the artifacts and indeed promoted "back to wilderness" but would have effectively robbed the artifacts of their historical context and the very characteristic which made the locomotives so unique - their location - -where they worked and were ultimately abandoned. If removed, stuffed and mounted they would have become just two more locomotives needing paint. Another faction pushed to create easy access in the form of a road from Lock Dam. Not only would this have created a huge environmental impact it would have also removed that unique characteristic of remoteness. In the end we were able to preserve the artifacts from the immediate threat - falling over - with minimal impact. As an added bonus due to our project proposal, the strip of Public Land that forms a significant portion of the ismuth and is not part of the Waterway and witch have allowed road access and timber harvest has been set aside as a wilderness study area. To tell you how crazy this debate got at one point our project was being used as an excuse to allow access at John's Bridge! (Due to low water we had used the Bridge as a staging point to move some of our heavier equipment)

When we first started the project the trees were encroached tight against the locomotives. This fact promoted two events detrimental to the artifacts: constant dampness and frost. The first needs no explaining the second I will clarify. To the North of No. 2 the trees, brush etc. was less dense allowing more sun. Over the years this promoted a more rapid thawing of the frost on the north side while the south side of the roadbed held frost for a significantly longer time (well into June). This caused settlement of the north rail to the point that it eventually rolled over and the drivers sank ever deeper into the clay soil. In fact as an interim step the Waterway had spread a thick layer of sawdust along the north side to slow the thaw and had placed log braces to provide some form of stabilization. No. 1 with more even shade had settled relatively level. To combat frost and corrosion we expanded the clearing to approx. its historic limits and of course constructed a well drained crushed stone roadbed with geotextile fabric and a under drain system. 11 years on it seems to be working well.

The other issue is providing interpretation - most historic sites provide big display boards etc. Our proposal calls for simple natural cedar posts set a key points each with a routed number keyed to a guide book with historical info and maps. The idea is that it’s un-obtrusive and promotes exploration and self-discovery. Yes, it’s important to preserve and protect wilderness but it’s also important to protect the history associated with that wilderness. It’s important to remember that the forest now encroaching on the Tramway site is mostly 3rd growth - the first cut-off in the 1902 the pines well before that and the second in 1926. People lived here, died here and accomplished many remarkable things. That’s worth remembering. The forest will come back – the past wont.