• 2 Steamers, abandoned in the Maine Woods

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by ricebrianrice

Now that is cool :-D :-D

by RussNelson

The Tramway sounds interesting as well. Looks like the color photo is modern. Makes me wonder how much of the steel cable is still intact.

by bigbronco85

Wow, I had never seen the 1969 pictures after the fire, or that 1970s pic of the trestle remains. Only the other ones and the Land Rover excursion pics. Awesome stuff!
I still need to make it up there sometime, one of my friends went on a canoe once.

by eriemike

The Eagle Lake & West Branch is a fascinating story and a very difficult place to get to, as evidence by the Land Rover group. There was recently an article by Terence Harper in the July/August 2007 issue of Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette magazine on the history of the EL&WB. The Walker Transportation Collection also has a lot of images and material on this logging railroad.

This topic was also discussed several years ago on this forum. It is here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

by CarterB

Here are some excellent photos of the construction of the EL&WB. (nee Umbazooksus and Eagle Lake Railroad)

http://news.webshots.com/album/87490988zpckXX

Here's the group that has done some stabilization of the two locos in place.

http://www.allagash-wilderness.org/index.htm

and more info:

http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/programs ... ash/rr.htm

and even more era pics: (search: eagle lake)

http://www.mainememory.net/bin/SwishSea ... ing--Maine

A book on the subject:

Dr. Everett L. Parker offers a concise and interesting history of railroading in the region. Titled "Railroads of the North Woods," and published by Moosehead Communications, Inc. of Greenville, ME

Also referenced was the GNP addition to the EL&WB of the five mile long Chesuncook-Chamberlain Railroad

by Steam501

The Two Steam Locomotives in the Woods has been a regular mainstay on WCVB TV Boston, Mass for years on their " Chronical Program " They were completely rebuilt before operations were shut down during bad times in the depression, covered with some sort of gun grease and a fire wrecked havoc on the building they were stored in Thats the story that the TV Station tells us flat :P landers. By the way how intact are the interior boiler components such as tubes , stays and sheets? Are either locomotives Superheated? Are there any plans to restore the track that is still on the island? THANKS

by Mattydred

Dudes,

This is so cool. What a trek. I may have to hike it out there and see it for myself. Excellent post. I can't believe I've never heard of these two steamers before.

by Fogg1703

Has anyone on the group actually hiked to them. It appears the easiest way is by canoe/kayak, but by looking at Google Earth, it looks like there are some trails leading to the old ROW. How about parking? I know the granola's get upset when your not in the designated parking area up there.

Brian

by eriemike

You can hike there, but this isn't a quaint stroll through the woods. These locomotives are located in the deepest of Maine's wilderness. There won't be any AMC huts along the way. You should be properly prepared with a back pack, first aid kit, compass, etc. I was told that you can easily get lost up there so plan properly before going. Don't want see a Boston Globe article about some railfan who ended up being dinner for a black bear :wink:

by 3rdrail

eriemike wrote:You can hike there, but this isn't a quaint stroll through the woods. These locomotives are located in the deepest of Maine's wilderness. There won't be any AMC huts along the way. You should be properly prepared with a back pack, first aid kit, compass, etc. I was told that you can easily get lost up there so plan properly before going. Don't want see a Boston Globe article about some railfan who ended up being dinner for a black bear :wink:
Very, very true. The hazards of an operation like this can't be stressed too much. I have been doing these kinds of expeditions for years with my son, and the first thing that you realize is that all modern conveniences and safety back-up systems go right out the window. You have to come prepared and double and triple your expected provisions. We have had a close call in Bowtown Maine, and I can tell you that although we have great stories now, it was scary going through it ! If I hadn't had a firearm, we'd both be dead. If you don't have a sturdy 4-wheel drive vehicle, properly maintained with heavy-duty equipment, hi-lo transmission, CB radio, electric winch, other recovery gear, enough food to last for weeks on a two day trip, woolen blankets, fully over-stocked first aid kit, etc etc, don't even think of taking this trip ! (and that's only the vehicle assisted part of the journey !)

Here is a shot of us following a stream, formerly an old roadbed, in remotest Nova Scotia a few years ago:

Another shot - 40 miles from nowhere, stuck en route to find a logging ROW, my son digs us out of 2' deep muck so that we can use the sand ladders to proceed.

by Steam501

Is this the same George Sanborn that works or worked as sort of a Historian for the MBTA. Perhaps this is a dumb question but I,m kind of left with the impression that if this is the same person I believe it is than I take it that he has passed away? Thank You.
  by atsf sp

Does anyone have directions to get to these two steamers from say downtown Eagle Lake? How far are they around the lake from the town waterfront area near the MMA tracks?
  by CVRA7

For being in such a remote location some vary large pieces of them have disappeared such as the smokebox door as mentioned and also the air compressor. I visited the area years ago, via a float plane and some hiking so I'm afraid I can't provide any directions.
These locomotives would have disappeared as scrap many years ago if they were accessible. Their remote location will also prevent them from being rescued IMHO.
  by Tracer

I have never been there but i have been thinking about making a trip up there for a while.
According to my garim gps if your leaving from Millinocket, it says you can get there in about 2hrs and 15min (72 miles one way). How are the roads out there?