Railroad Forums 

• Remaining turntables in New England?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1427975  by NortheastTrainGuy1965

I was first told about the CNE turntable in West Winstedwhen I started to research railroad history in the area.

I have since found out about the New Haven RR turntable and roundhouse located in Winsted between Willow St. and Maple St. which runs above it. It was on the site of what is now office suites and elderly housing. I noticed this on an 1874 map and then asked an elder family member about it. Found out he and his son jack hammered the remains of the turntable and roundhouse foundation to clear the property for the elderly housing. I was told there is a photo of the New Haven's Winsted roundhouse hanging at the Tributary Restaurant.

Anyone have any other info or photos?

BTW, I Google Earthed the region and it almost looks like there is the remains of a mangled turnout behind the elderly housing against the retaining wall on Maple St. Maybe it's just ground contour, but it sure looks like mangled tracks that would be approximately where they appear on the map I had seen. A spur ran off behind the roundhouse towards Maple St. towards Old Winsted Rd.
 #1427978  by CarterB

Mikejf wrote:One pit I forgot to mention, and I don't know how accessible it is now. There is one in Standish, right next to Sebago Lake. Next to the boat ramp. It is now fenced off by the Portland Water District. Unfortunately, there is no good view of it on Google Maps.

Mike
Looks like a 'circle' in the view at N 43.76301 W 70.52112 on https://mapper.acme.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1428209  by Tom M

You can't see it anymore, but prior to the parking lot adjacent to the Dover, NH Amtrak station being paved, stone remnants of a TT foundation could be seen. It was kind of SSW of the station, near the edge of the parking lot. I haven't checked to see if it would show up on any Google Earth images or not. The footprint of the former Dover station, where the 3rd Street parking lot is now (between the Central Avenue and Chestnut Street crossings) does appear on some Google Earth images. You can also see it in person. The pavement is a slightly lighter color. Not for long, though. The parking lot will soon disappear to be replaced by commercial and residential space. Very soon.
 #1428505  by Cowford

Along the line of turntable remnants: The Bridgton and Harrison pit off of Rt 113 as you enter Hiram. It's a hike into the woods, and prepare for ticks. Also, the B&A pit at Katahdin Iron Works at the end of the KI branch.
 #1428522  by Bill Reidy

Not mentioned so far is the new turntable completed last October at the WW&F Railway Museum. It's based on a Portland Company design.

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=47172&p=1404496&h ... e#p1404496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the Museum's discussion thread on the turntable's construction:

http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=2628.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1428580  by Mikejf

I don't know why I did not think of this before, but how about a replica Portland Company turntable, built in 2016 in Alna, Me at the WW&F.

#1429768  by NashuaActon&Boston

Allegedly there's remnants of a turntable pit in West Concord, MA, on the grounds of State Police barracks - opposite MCI Concord and just east of the rotary. Was located on the B&M's Reformatory Branch. There was once a station here as well. This section of the Reformatory Branch was abandoned in 1927.
 #1429866  by trainsinmaine

There is only one available online USGS map depicting the old Reformatory Branch when it still existed (the Framingham Quadrangle, 1894). The western terminus of the line is just beyond the parameters of the map. Did it actually join the New Haven's Framingham and Lowell Branch, or did it end where the West Concord Rotary is now located? As one heads east on Route 2 toward the Rotary, a small (and improbably located) cemetery can be seen off to the right, with what would appear might be the old Reformatory roadbed in front of it. Was that the case?
 #1429875  by CarterB

The Boston & Lowell from the East (Bedford) met the Old Colony from the South (North Sudbury) at approx N 42.46850 W 71.40648
Roadbed just to South of the cemetary you mention was the Old Colony.
 #1429993  by b&m 1566

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already but there's a filled in turntable pit in Wayland, MA on the Central Mass Branch. I believe this is the remains right here.
 #1430005  by kwf

The spot where the OCRR met the B&L was called Middlesex Junction. Reformatory Station was just east of the rotary, and the TT was in the general area of the State Police barracks parking lot. The prison had service from both the OC and B&L. The Lexington TT was behind Town Hall on the opposite side of the tracks.

edit...Map shows the location of the old town hall. Behind Bertucci's on Mass Ave in the parking lot area
Last edited by kwf on Wed May 03, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.