Railroad Forums 

• Remaining turntables in New England?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1026575  by rrr

does anyone know what is left of both the turntables and roundhouses in Nashua.

I was only able to locate the single stall on temple St.
-Russ
 #1026597  by bm1838

Three off mind that I dont think I saw mentioned in this forum.

1. Rockingham Junction West Wye (turn table pit remains)

2. Rochester NH, In KFC parking lot was where turntable was I think there may be some stone reminants.

3. Mount Whitter (Conway Branch west ossipee). Turntable pit remains at the east side of the south mainline switch.

Cory Fothergill
 #1026652  by Mikejf

One pit I forgot to mention, and I don't know how accessible it is now. There is one in Standish, right next to Sebago Lake. Next to the boat ramp. It is now fenced off by the Portland Water District. Unfortunately, there is no good view of it on Google Maps.

Mike
 #1031168  by Mikejf

Yes Russ. 2 stall. Had to look it up in the Maine Central Railroad Mountain Division book to be certain. Some actual photos are in the background of the Sebago station shots, next to the water tank.

Mike
 #1035095  by The EGE

Hm, Can't find it on historic maps or images. Can you give a more accurate bead on the location? (That one's close enough to me I could actually go see it.)
 #1035816  by Brendan

The TT pit that was part of the Valley RR in old Saybrook was mentioned ( that now is a park) but the Valley RR has another little known TT pit on the line on the east side of the tracks at the southern yard limit of Goodspeed yard in Haddam. It was used to turn a shoreline commuter train in the 1890s that terminated Goodspeed/East Haddam. Was there one on the north end of the line in Hartford?
 #1168235  by rrr

The EGE wrote:Hm, Can't find it on historic maps or images. Can you give a more accurate bead on the location? (That one's close enough to me I could actually go see it.)
Agreed, been looking and can't find it in historical maps or Bing maps. Does anyone know where the Danvers turntable is?
 #1168482  by TomNelligan

Was there one on the north end of the line in Hartford?
I'm sure that the ancestral Hartford & Connecticut Valley RR would have had one since they had to turn their locomotives, but after everything consolidated into the New Haven in ther 20th century the NH's engine terminal including a turntable and roundhouse was across the river in East Hartford.
 #1168548  by highrail

There is no remaining turntable in Danvers. I have walked every bit of the line. At one time there was at least a hand operated turntable next to Essex Street, near Elm/Sylvan Streets. It was adjacent to the tracks that are still there. I have seen an aerial photo which clearly shows the location. The date is unclear of the photo, but one clue of the time period is that they are just beginning construction of Rt 128 in the back area of the photo, so would that be the early-mid 1950's?
Steve
 #1168568  by rrr

highrail wrote:There is no remaining turntable in Danvers. I have walked every bit of the line. At one time there was at least a hand operated turntable next to Essex Street, near Elm/Sylvan Streets.
Steve
Thanks Steve- -very helpful.
 #1168770  by highrail

I was trying to get a closer look at the aerail photo to determine if indeed the Danvers turntable was a hand operated turntable. Hmmm, looks like a small shack at one end...I wonder if it operated from the air pressure on the locomotive, similar to the conway scenic. Conway also has a small shack, which is why I am intrigued by this one.
Steve
 #1168833  by Ridgefielder

TomNelligan wrote:
I'm sure that the ancestral Hartford & Connecticut Valley RR would have had one since they had to turn their locomotives, but after everything consolidated into the New Haven in ther 20th century the NH's engine terminal including a turntable and roundhouse was across the river in East Hartford.
Where was the Central New England's Hartford engine terminal?
 #1173402  by Vikingservices

Ridgefielder wrote:
TomNelligan wrote:
Where was the Central New England's Hartford engine terminal?
The CNE turntable was located off Walnut ST in Hartford, there facility was relocated across the river in E Hartford after the original engine house fire.

There is still a turntable pit in West Winsted located off John St. which used to be the CNE Yard. It is buried, but the stone is still visible.

Cheers,
Craig