Railroad Forums 

• Newburyport City RR ROW

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#462226  by truman

Working in Newbury Mass. this week, I notice that the old Newburyport city railroad ROW is being cleared. Someone told me its going to be a bike path/walking trail from the T station to downtown. Right now would be the time to sniff for any artifacts, before it gets paved.
You have to admire the view from Parker street, how straight and level the ROW is.

#462319  by #7470

Can you take some pictures and post then on www.nerail.org? I would love to see them. On the other side of the line, down in Wakefield where it starts, there was some equipment parked on the ROW for what reason I don't know.

Matt

#462684  by truman

#7470 wrote:Can you take some pictures and post then on www.nerail.org? I would love to see them.On the other side of the line, down in Wakefield where it starts, there was some equipment parked on the ROW for what reason I don't know.
Matt

Sorry, but I shoot film, and I do not own a scanner and don't know anyone who does.
The line in Wakefield is part of the old B&M Newburyport branch, as opposed to the Newburyport city RR, which was a completely separate entity.

#462944  by bigbronco85

I also noticed that the intersection where the rails crossed diagonally through, by the front corner of a house (rails went under their garden) has been paved and you can't see the rails anymore. I forget the name of the street but it's got an old brick building on the corner that I believe got service from the line.

#463045  by JCitron

That's good news that they're cleaning up the old ROW. When I was very young, I remember seeing freights being hauled along this line. If I ever get down to Newburyport, I'd like to walk the trail and take some pictures of it.

John

#464747  by eriemike

The Walker Transportation Collection at the Beverly Historical Society & Museum has lots of photos of the City Railroad, going back to the steam era, up to more modern times. Come visit us any Wednesday evening from 7 to 10pm, and see for yourselves!

#464939  by truman

eriemike wrote:The Walker Transportation Collection at the Beverly Historical Society & Museum has lots of photos of the City Railroad, going back to the steam era, up to more modern times. Come visit us any Wednesday evening from 7 to 10pm, and see for yourselves!
Street address?

#464978  by eriemike

The address is:

Walker Transportation Collection
Beverly Historical Society & Musueum
117 Cabot St.
Beverly, MA

978-922-1186