Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#446728  by b&m 1566

rjones2 wrote:Talk of a possible tourist train originating in Whitefield may happen next summer
The area next to the tracks that has been cleared out is currently the size of two football fields, yet hopefully more will be cleared out so that logs and industrial materials can be shipped by rail.

Sounds promising what is going on!
Where would this train run? Whitefield to Littleton, Whitefield to Lancaster, Whitefield to VT. What's the scenery like? Could it be another notch train Whitefield to Bartlett (I can't see that happening/competition with the CSRR); either way it sounds very promising and I hope something does come up.
 #450831  by rjones2

I have no idea on the details of the tourist train--just a thought that was thrown out. However, I did explore around the Jefferson area today and saw a gondola as well as LLPX #1505 Gp15-1 sitting near a dirt crossing. Is this a new engine for the roster?

Re:

#450880  by shadyjay

rjones2 wrote:Talk of a possible tourist train originating in Whitefield may happen next summer
Not sure about Whitefield, but on the Vermont Railway excursion today between Lyndonville and Bradford, the conductor mentioned that there is talks of a tourist train running out of Woodsville, NH (yes, Woodsville) within the next couple of years. I doubt it they'd put the line back to connect to Littleton and Whitefield, but the word was that the train would cross the CT into VT and run a short distance around Wells River.

Also, VRS apparantly has little interest in reactivating the Mtn Division east of St J to NH. The lack of major online customer(s) is a deterent, along with another rail line that would need a lot of work to get track up to speed. There are lots of slow orders on the VTRS along the CT River and those are trying to get fixed, and with many other miles of VTRS trackage needing work, the last thing they want at the present is a line with no online traffic. Perhaps NHCR will want another interchange outlet though.

#478318  by bwparker1

Sorry to bring this back, how are these cars routed up to Whitfield, NH? What sets of active tracks are involved? Is it the St. Lawrence and Atlantic to the New Hampshire Central?

Thanks,
Brooks

#478429  by CSRR573

does any one have more pics of where the csrr ties in with the NHC?

#478621  by thebigham

bwparker1 wrote:Sorry to bring this back, how are these cars routed up to Whitfield, NH? What sets of active tracks are involved? Is it the St. Lawrence and Atlantic to the New Hampshire Central?

Thanks,
Brooks
Yes, NHC interchanges with the StL&A in Groveton, NH.

#485403  by PVRX1

Does New hampshire Central keep an engine on this line or do they travel between North Stratford and Groveton when needed?

Also, how often are they running down there?

Are any of the Quincy Bay B23-7s still around or used, or just the GP16 and 44 tonner?

Thank you.

#485483  by masscoastalfan

both of the quincy bay units are on the conway scenic now. the 21 is now the 2820 and i believe the 23 will be rebuilt this winter and run next year. Conway Scenic also has the 44tonner.

#486138  by PVRX1

Yes, I remember now 2 of the 3 QBT units went to the Conway Scenic. Didn't know the 44 tonner left. So, NHC has only the 1732, so that would tend to make me believe they have light engine move rights

#486930  by Joe Fox

Does anybody know if the NHC is looking for employees? I only ask, because I turn 18 in a few months, and am looking for a railroad to start working on.
 #534309  by rjones2

Can anyone shed light on the new purchase of the former Housatonic GP-9? Also, is there any recent news/happenings with the NHCR?

#541156  by masscoastalfan

does anyone know why the NHC is selling their GP16? http://www.fasttrackrr.com/gp16/gp16.html from this it appears to be in excellent condition. I know that they are getting new units but It seems that this unit is in better shape than the 2 they are getting. Just curious.

#541293  by toolmaker

I would speculate they don't need this unit since the mill in Groveton closed for good.

#541394  by Dick H

I don't believe the NHCR has served the Groveton Mill. One of the last things that Clyde Forbes (NHVT) did was to sell the rights to the mill and about one mile of track south from Groveton to the SL&A.

The NHCR is the operator of the state owned trackage from south of Groveton to Whitefield. This connects with the Conway Scenic RR east of Whitefield at Hazens and it their only connection to the outside world. There was a company near Hazens receiving covered hoppers of plastics several months ago. Unknown if they are still getting cars.

Reportedly, the NHCR had hopes that the State of VT would purchase and rehab the line from St. Johnsbury to Dalton, but the paper mill there closed once again and I don't think the state has moved on the project.
Opening this line would have given the WACR and the NHCR a routing of traffic to the SL&A at Groveton. It appears that this project is dead for the moment, anyway.

Dick

#541652  by toolmaker

Dick , Thank you for explaining the current operating range of the NHCR. I had assumed they could interchange directly with SL&A since both operate in the Groveton area.

Presby plastics had the hopper of pellets delivered last fall. I wonder if they still do so.