Railroad Forums 

• Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad (HOBO, Winnipesaukee Scenic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1421892  by b&m 1566

The 2-6-2 that was on display, was ex- Wolfeboro Railroad's #250. That now resides at Edaville (now Thomas Land or whatever it's called).
And yes there's a few freight cars and unused budd cars sitting at the very end of the tracks. One of the freight cars last had an inspection in 1994 as had been stenciled on the trucks, so they haven't moved in some 20 years now.
 #1441434  by BowdoinStation

Pumpkinfest was moved up to the weekend after Columbus Day, and the Winnipesaukee Scenic is still quite busy with rides, and charters on their main route from Meredith to Lakeport. Winnipesaukee Scenic ran three fifty minute passenger extras that ran from Laconia station to near the end of the shoreline houses on Dutile Shore Road in Belmont and back. The Extras ran to celebrate the 125th Anniversary of the historic Laconia train station. Someone threw up a pic on NeRail.
 #1441611  by BowdoinStation

It appears ALCOs 958 and 1186 are in service, and both are in Lincoln. When I was in Lincoln recently, 958 was the passenger train power, while their blue SW1001 and 1186 were on a siding. ALCO's 959 and 1008 are stored at a locomotive shed in Lakeport. One is outside, one is in the shed, along with a 44 tonner.
 #1442067  by BowdoinStation

Don't hold me to these answers, since I am not 100% on this... Both of these engines I believe are owned by the State of NH, one of them not sure which, is in need of traction motors, not sure about the other one. P & L wound up with two EMD's a few years ago with the SW1000 (#1012) from Larry's (Leased ?) and they own the blue SW1001 (#1590) that come from CIT. #1012 has been the main power at the Winnipesaukee Scenic, and #1590 seems to stay in Lincoln.
 #1448573  by b&m 1566

Is this a joke?!!!
It seems Rail Trail advocates are now going after the Winnipesaukee Scenic, just like they did with Adirondacks Scenic Railroad.
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx/lo ... -wow-trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was afraid of this happening.
 #1448577  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They CAN'T rip up the rails. Common-carrier NEGS has trackage rights (unused, but extant) contiguously to Lincoln, so much like the Falmouth Branch windmill-tilters this another impossibility by federal law that'll be struck down in 0.05 seconds by the STB. Not to mention it's extraordinarily unlikely that track owner NHDOT is going to go for this.

But good on them for being such bleeding fools they're willing to light $10K on fire to "study" it. I'm sure that taxpayer money couldn't have been put to better use somewhere around town. [/facepalm]
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1448591  by b&m 1566

People laughed off the rail trail for the Adirondack Scenic line way back in the beginning and it took a law suit in the 59th minute of the 11th hour to delay the trail and ultimately stop it (for now). NEGS maybe a common carrier but under contract with the state. With the uncertainty of NEGS future, the state may not have a common carrier operator very long, so then what? You start persuading law makers to find the trail to be more appealing, who knows what might happen at that point. All I'm saying is that the Clark family should take this as a serious threat and stay on top of it. If Mr. Dearness does sell NEGS, it might be in the Clark family's best interest to buy (probably more so now than ever in my mind).