Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Commuter Rail Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#429599  by Rockingham Racer

All well and good; now who's going to spend the millions to upgrade the line to 60 MPH?

And, what do people think about a Tyngsboro and N. Chelmsford station stop? My though on Tyngsboro: too small, and too close to the mystery site in S. Nashua. N. Chelmsford might work.

#429606  by NHN503

Rockingham Racer wrote:All well and good; now who's going to spend the millions to upgrade the line to 60 MPH?
Most likely the typical 80% Fed with 20% local match that is generally used in transit projects.

#429667  by shadyjay

Rockingham Racer wrote:All well and good; now who's going to spend the millions to upgrade the line to 60 MPH?

Exactly, RRacer. All this results so far is the formation of a committee to study commuter rail in NH. Funding aside, there is still an uphill battle to deal with Pan-Am. Does the Downeaster ring a bell?

While I admire NH's thinking here, there is still a LONG road ahead. I'm guessing it'll be another 10-15 years before a passenger boards a train at Nashua, though I could be wrong, and hope I am, for NH's sake.

#430331  by trainhq

North Chelmsford would probably get a stop, near where Route 40 hits 3a. They have some land there for parking, and there are about 5 roads converging at that location. Tyngsborough probably wouldn't get a stop, at least not right away; they might add one later if enough people ask for it.

#430625  by cpf354

shadyjay wrote:

Exactly, RRacer. All this results so far is the formation of a committee to study commuter rail in NH. Funding aside, there is still an uphill battle to deal with Pan-Am. Does the Downeaster ring a bell?

While I admire NH's thinking here, there is still a LONG road ahead. I'm guessing it'll be another 10-15 years before a passenger boards a train at Nashua, though I could be wrong, and hope I am, for NH's sake.
I read that Pan Am has no objections to commuter rail service to Nashua or beyond, and at one time was mentioned as a possible operator.

#430763  by l008com

I highly doubt pan am would ever want to run passenger trains. But as far as they go, they get free track upgrades and other income, so it does work out for them.

As far as passenger service in nashua being 10-15 years away... I thought they were ALREADY building the station last year, out of their own pocket cause the state wouldn't give them any money? I thought I even saw pictures?

#430865  by Rockingham Racer

They are still looking for sites for the 2 stations AFAIK. The only money "out there" right now is $1 million for the stations in Nashua and Manchester. At $500,00 for each one, they probably won't be very substantial, unless the cities themselves kick in some dough.

#431174  by stevo

there has been no station construction in nashua, i can tell you that much.

#431247  by djlong

Where one might have thought there was station construction was from Nashua passing a "tax enterprise zone" to fund a station and the fact that Nashua Landing, a retail 'lifestyle center' was supposed to have a rail station integrated into the design.

A month or two ago, it was announced that the rail station was dropped from the Nashua Landing plans. However, officials *claim* they have another site between Exits 1 and 2 on the Turnpike but they're not saying what parcel it is because they haven't yet contacted the owner (and presumably don't want the price jacked up even further).

#456526  by gunsanplanes

There was an article in todays' Lawrence Eagle Tribune about the town of Derry looking to get the unpaved section of bed paved.
The section in question is in between the newly-paved Windham section, and the older paved trail in the town proper...a length of a bit over 2 miles.
The article said Derry already owned all the bed, and anticipated the paving to be done fairly quickly.

The article also made mention that Salem got state money, and was already engineering the paving of it's few miles of bed.

#456818  by b&m 1566

They just finished the foot bridge going over the new route 111 section and I must say it looks very nice (would be nicer looking if it was a railroad bridge). The last remaining crossing in Salem was removed over the summer near Denny's (Kelly Rd. and Hampshire Rd. tracks are paved over). There's a sign on the old depot advertising the restoration of the station that’s soon to begin. I heard word that they want to put a caboose on display as well. Tracks in front of the depot and going up to Dodge Grain are still in place so the Caboose will be able to sit right on those if and when they find a caboose.

#456840  by l008com

Maybe they can buy that strange caboose thats stuck in someone's back yard in winchester. Not sure how authentic it would be for the M&L, but then again if they really wanted authenticity, they'd be after a centerbeam lumber car :-)

#456850  by Guilford Guy

l008com wrote:Maybe they can buy that strange caboose thats stuck in someone's back yard in winchester. Not sure how authentic it would be for the M&L, but then again if they really wanted authenticity, they'd be after a centerbeam lumber car :-)
Well it was used by the B&M
http://photos.nerail.org/search/searchr ... er+caboose

#470363  by thomas81z

arent they trying to get passenger service up 28 to concord??