Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Commuter Rail Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#426010  by trainhq

Folks, there has been a sea change to the north. Governor Lynch, recognizing that the Downeaster has
been a success, (the new fifth train should start in a few weeks) has decided to support CR big time.

This could mean CR to Nashua by 2010, and even serious consideration of re-opening the Manchester-Lawrence line. Huge breakthough!

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df2/df ... .shtml#New

#426028  by vanshnookenraggen

Finally people are coming around....

...but could someone do something about that web site! What is this, 1994?

#426039  by PraiseX6

This is great! Does anyone have any idea what time it be running at?

#426049  by Dick H

The fifth Downeaster round trip will depart Portland at 8:10PM and will depart Boston at 11:20PM, seven days a week. The evening temporary buses will be discontinued. There are also some, mostly minor, changes in the existing train schedules also. New full schedules should be out soon. The startup date is August 17th and booking any trips on or after that date on amtrak.com dies show the new schedule.

Dick

#426056  by djlong

I just don't see how they could use the Lawrence to Manchester line. North of Salem it's blocked off, in Manchester itself it's blocked in several places before you get to the downtown area.

The *Nashua* to Manchester segment, however, is still in use for freight and is just waiting for an upgrade to handle passengers.

#426065  by Choo Choo Coleman

Maybe NH will look to re-build segments of the Lawrence-Manchester line. I think it would be a big hit in Methuen and Salem. There are a lot of people who commute to Boston all along that line. Plus, there are some businesses along the way who might benefit and the Manchester Airport. Not to mention Canobie Lake Park!

#426103  by Jonny Bolt

This is really great to see. Thanks for posting.

Now for the Eastern Route REVIVAL!!! :)
Last edited by Jonny Bolt on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#426114  by trainhq

I don't think they'd ever run the Lawrence branch up to Manchester, not with the Nashua branch being in better shape. The furthest up I would guess the Lawrence branch would get would be Salem, where I think it might get as far as Rockingham park, which would be an excellent CR station location near exit 1. It should
be straightforward to get it to Methuen, as the line there
was (is?) still active until recently. To Salem would take a lot of work (and closing some grade crossings), but
it would be justified by the amount of usage. Beyond that, I don't see it.

#426182  by roberttosh

The biggest bang for the buck would quite obviously be the upgrading of the NH mainline from Lowell up to Concord. It serves the states three biggest metro areas, is in service and runs directly parallel to the busy commuter routes into Boston. All those other routes would be nice, but none of those areas see traffic nightmares that even approach what goes on on Rt's 3 & 93; and furthermore, the NIMBY opposition you'd be facing in getting the M&L and Portsmouth lines going would be outrageous. Lastly, while you hate to give anything to PAR for free, upgrading of the NH mainline would also benefit NH in that it would improve the states most vital freight corridor. Just my $.02....
Last edited by roberttosh on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#426190  by stevo

i've heard merrimack has looked at two or three locations for their station. personally, i hope it goes near the sewage plant, one of their ideas, because that's closer to me than downtown nashua.

#426204  by b&m 1566

I think I felt a tear roll down my face as I read the article.
djlong wrote:I just don't see how they could use the Lawrence to Manchester line. North of Salem it's blocked off, in Manchester itself it's blocked in several places before you get to the downtown area.

The *Nashua* to Manchester segment, however, is still in use for freight and is just waiting for an upgrade to handle passengers.
A study of the line was conducted about 7 or so years ago. The only area that is blocked is the Manchester Airport. Study suggested either a relocation around the area or a tunnel under the area with a station underneath it with some kind of tramway connecting it to the terminal. If I can find the site that has the report of the study I will post it. Most likely the line will terminate in Salem or at best exit 5 off of I93 with a Park and Ride.

#426241  by aline1969

I thought the route would be Lowell to Nashua to Manchester and hopefully Concord NH.

The other route I would like to see is Newburyport to Portsmouth.

#426377  by Meyblc

This is great news, but help me out here......Who is CR?

#426382  by Rockingham Racer

Meyblc wrote:This is great news, but help me out here......Who is CR?
CR is an acronym for Commuter Rail.

#426385  by Meyblc

Ahhh, Thank you. I thought maybe Guilford....Err....Pan Am may have changed it's name again.....LOL.