Railroad Forums 

• RDC's sitting in Palmer, MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#417439  by crij

There is a second RDC? Last I heard there was only one B&M RDC, sitting west of and below the station.

Rich C.
 #417609  by westriverrr

Well, in my old age I can't count too well sometimes. Maybe I had noted that it still had two engines. Now I have an excuse to return and doublecheck, :wink:

#417738  by Dick H

I have not been to Palmer since last year, so there may very well be two RDCs there. For many years, there was one RDC parked south of the yard office on the east side near some industrail property. As I recall, there was a plan many years ago to convert this car into some sort of Operation Lifesaver display car that would be locomotive hauled around to Operation Lifesaver promotions in MA. That proposal fell through.

Around 2000, the story was that the car had been donated to the Connecticut Eastern RR Museum in Willimantic. However, the NECR stated that the car needed a number of repairs for them to move it and that, even after repairs, they would move it only at resticted speed in a special move and not in regular freights. Supposedly, the Museum decided the car was not worth the investment. Also, I believe they have obtained a Budd SPV coach that is in much better condition for display.

It seems to me that the car or cars at Palmer will eventually have an appointment with the scrapper.

Dick