Railroad Forums 

• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#5337  by Jedijk88

Good. I'm glad to hear that negotiations are still on the table.

#5424  by CSX Conductor

Allan, sorry if I was conveying false info, but that was the latest word around CSX. It was good to see the large amount of steel that came east over the B&A the other day, am I safe to assume they were for you?

#5515  by AM@BRT

CSX Conductor:
Yes, that material was for us. We have recently taken delivery of 17 loads of 90' and 95' piling in Providence on the P & W (also 13 idler cars). Last night we received 9 cars here in South Boston. We are still chuggin' along.

#6591  by CSX Conductor

glad to see you're keeping busy.

By the way, welcome to the new format
 #6602  by paulrail

Alan-

Great news ! I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. :wink:

Paul
 #83766  by OHanrahan

any new news on this.

#83903  by CSX Conductor

Last rumor I heard was that the BRT operation was going to move to Pawtucket, RI. Alan?
 #111988  by frrc

[DELETED]
Last edited by frrc on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #236159  by Pat_Francis

RE: The Grafton & Upton

From talking to some retired RR people, the Grafton & Upton is indeed up for sale, and the potential buyer will operate a "trash to train" business on the line. Trash and construction debris will be loaded at West Upton, and sent North to the CSX interchange at North Grafton. The building at Grafton Center will be torn down and a small yard / business office located there, to solicit future customers for the new operation.

I really hope the new owners rehab the line, as the idea of 50+ ton hopper cars on those tracks, which haven't seen any serious use since the late 1990's, are rehabbed. And, will the NIMBY's in Grafton and Upton allow such an operation, considering the Milford steel unloading operation was shut down after a prolonged legal battle ?

Patrick
 #236198  by CSX Conductor

Pat_Francis wrote:I really hope the new owners rehab the line, as the idea of 50+ ton hopper cars on those tracks, which haven't seen any serious use since the late 1990's, are rehabbed.
I would assume that this proposed trash operation would be containers on flat cars, which is the more common practice in many areas.

#236271  by Jedijk88

The line needs ties and surfacing work if there is going to be any real freight traffic returning.

#236331  by CSX Conductor

Jedijk88 wrote:The line needs ties and surfacing work if there is going to be any real freight traffic returning.
Have you seen some of our property?!? :P
 #236437  by octr202

Pat_Francis wrote:RE: The Grafton & Upton

From talking to some retired RR people, the Grafton & Upton is indeed up for sale, and the potential buyer will operate a "trash to train" business on the line. Trash and construction debris will be loaded at West Upton, and sent North to the CSX interchange at North Grafton. The building at Grafton Center will be torn down and a small yard / business office located there, to solicit future customers for the new operation.

I really hope the new owners rehab the line, as the idea of 50+ ton hopper cars on those tracks, which haven't seen any serious use since the late 1990's, are rehabbed. And, will the NIMBY's in Grafton and Upton allow such an operation, considering the Milford steel unloading operation was shut down after a prolonged legal battle ?

Patrick
Eh, 50 tons? Their Alco S-2 has been up and down it a few times, and that's a lot more than 50 tons!

#236525  by b&m 1566

Anonymous wrote:Beyond West Upton, the line is embargoed and cannot be operated.
Why has it been embargoed? Is it embargoed for good?
 #236555  by frrc

Track South of West Upton is overgrown big time and hasn't seen trains in quite a while. The Alco in the old engine house in Hopedale has wheel set problems, and doesn't meet FRA certification, thus it's "landlocked" to coin a phrase. The yard @ Hopedale is also overgrown and resembles a dumping ground for construction debris. The former station @ Hopedale was fixed up and is for sale, I heard a price a while back of $175k.

J