• New Hampshire Northcoast Railroad (NHN) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

NRGeep wrote:When did NHN begin running the gravel train? Did GRS ever run it post B&M? Why so docile with NHN when GRS/PRS routinely are antagonistic with other real or delusional competition?
NHN started in May 1986 after Guilford end service about 6 months prior because of poor track conditions. Management wasn't aggressive at the time and eventually sold the line to NHN. If Pan Am still owned the line today, I'm sure they would be trying to push them out.
See link, it's a great little video to watch https://youtu.be/NT-IGuxzUlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Dick H

I have heard no scanner chatter on PAR District #2 with either the NHN or the DOBO/BODO
trains this week. It appears the NHN is not running to Dover this week. Anyone have the
scoop? Thanks.
  by BostonUrbEx

Correct, no crew for the train on the NHN side this week, but should be back next week. Perhaps they'll even get a train for Boston on Sunday to get back to business as quickly as possible?

I'm wondering what being off for a week will mean for train size once they get back running. There might be 60+ empties ready to come back north, I know that much. The last two days they ran, there were about 30 or 32 cars to Boston, but no empties were pulled on the last return from Boston.

Does anyone know how many active cars are on hand in the NHN's pool?
  by Dick H

Saturday 4/28, there is a string of NHN empty hoppers in the Dover yard.
No idea how they got back to Dover from Boston. Either a Sunday extra
run or an early Monday run from Ossipee to get the hoppers would seem
to be in the cards.
  by GP40MC1118

LA-5 Thursday night I think from Boston to Lawrence, then someone must have picked them up for Dover.

D
  by bm1838

Currently 74 hoppers are in service on the NHN and 4 other hoppers (ex 400 series) were converted to ballast cars last year. The most Boston has ever unloaded in one day in the last decade has been 36 cars. That's just about the most that will run as several are out of service and being repainted as they are repaired.

The 30 400 series hoppers were built in 1971 and can only be used till 2021, therefore the plan is to purchase another 30 new ones to replace those.

Cory
  by bm1838

The ITGX Western Pacific cars have been gone since at least 2002. They leased them just for the big dig project and from what I was told they were terrible cars to work on, and being coal hoppers they also weren't as rugged as the aggregate hoppers.

Cory
  by GP40MC1118

Thanks.

I did manage to get some roster shots of them at BS&G.

Interesting BS&G doesn't get those oddball loads once or twice a year like they used to.
One year they were Soo Line hoppers, another were MMID and even CSX. Managed to
snag a few photos of them over the years. Guess they were loaded with different
minerals for ?

D
  by CSRR573

bm1838 wrote: The 30 400 series hoppers were built in 1971 and can only be used till 2021, therefore the plan is to purchase another 30 new ones to replace those.
why cant they be used past 2021?
  by NHV 669

Fair-Use quote from https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-life- ... ilroad-car
"The Association of American Railroads, a trade association that determines many of the rules governing North American railroads in general, addresses this topic under rule 88.

Any railroad car built before July 1, 1974, is limited to a lifespan of 40 years before it is no longer acceptable for "interchange service". If a car has been rebuilt, or meets the criteria for Extended Service Status, it can have operate for up to 50 years in interchange service. "
Good info to know, as I worked down in the yards helping to move our equipment from Ft. Carson, CO to training sites, and remember an Army Times quote stating that many of their DODX flats were reaching their end of service soon. This was 2011-13 timeframe.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Sun May 06, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by bm1838

The 400s had their extended service life upgrades done but they cant be used after they are 50 years old in interchange service. They should be replaced with New Hoppers prior to 2021.

Cory