Railroad Forums 

• Unusual Downeaster consist

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#25237  by Stephen

Amtrak Downeaster 686 on Tuesday the 8th arrived into North Station with a unusual consist.
South to north, it was a cabbage, 5 coaches, engine #12, another cabbage, 1 coach, and engine 817. I believe that both 12 and 817 were online.
Since the second section was so small, I assume it was not a double-draft, but simply a move to reposition equipment.
Stephen

#25239  by CSX Conductor

even if the second one was a small consist, I would consider it a double draft

#25306  by DutchRailnut

cab/bagage control car, made out of demotored F40's
a lot of these have no Bagage compartment anymore so the cabage is a mis-nomer

#25409  by wolfmom69

I saw Train #681 arriving O/T at Dover on Wednesday with the P-42 #12 leading,5 coaches,the business class car,food service car and cabbage trailing. Usual consist is 3 coaches,business class & the food car. Didnt look that crowded,so wonder what was up also?? Bud :)

#25467  by CSX Conductor

Possibly going to add cars for the summer (i.e. vacationers to Old Orchard)

#25587  by joshuahouse

I thought it must be something along those lines (lord knows its a variation on a theme) but had never heard that discription. Is there really much baggage on your average Downeaster? Dispite the fact that Amtrak isn't in the commuter business from what I've read the whole system has always given me the feel of a commuter train.

#27429  by ferroequinarchaeologist

On the subject of the Downeaster, we planned a day trip to Portland but found that there was no practical return schedule, so we're going by car. Also affecting the decision were the following observations:
First run of the Downeaster - December 15, 2001.
Last time the Downeaster was washed - December 15, 2001.

PBM
 #27609  by wolfmom69

The extra cars have been down at the Portland Amtrk, for a week now! I think I will tell President Bush,that David Gunn is "hiding" equipment,to help get more subsidy!!! Bud :P