Railroad Forums 

• Silver Lake Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1166186  by Reader#108

I'm curious.......who is telling Silver Lake what to do besides .......

YOU PETE.

LET IT GO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
IM NOT A MODERATOR HERE.....IN FACT I OWN MY OWN SITE

BUT I THINK I SPEAK FOR ALL WHEN I SAY......

PLEASE SHUT UP!
 #1166460  by Cosmo

Reader#108 wrote:I'm curious.......who is telling Silver Lake what to do besides .......

YOU PETE.

LET IT GO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
IM NOT A MODERATOR HERE.....IN FACT I OWN MY OWN SITE

BUT I THINK I SPEAK FOR ALL WHEN I SAY......

PLEASE SHUT UP!
Bill,... SERIOUSLY?
I'm NOT telling them what to do.. I'm agreeing FULLY with what they are doing now, and giving them props for what they've already DONE.

Dude, seriously.. switch to DEHA, you get a lot less foaming that way.
 #1166468  by MEC407

Ahem...
MEC407 wrote:Guys, this is getting a lot more "personal attacky" than I'd like. I think everyone has made their point pretty well; can we wind this down, please?
MEC407 wrote:OK guys, that part of the discussion is now officially over. Got it? :)
Do I need to have my mother come in and count to three?
 #1166623  by Cosmo

Hey Will,
What can you tell us about the beautiful old diner that's on the property? What are you guys doing with it now and what does the future hold?
 #1166642  by SilverLakeRailroad

Cosmo wrote:Hey Will,
What can you tell us about the beautiful old diner that's on the property? What are you guys doing with it now and what does the future hold?
Okay enough on the back and forth, Bill Brett Pete I don't care who said and started what when, just stop slamming each other. I have talked to each of you and fully understand what each other are trying to say now, I just wish you would stop and listen to each other... and me... So yeah, enough's enough... All of you guys used to be friends?

As far as the diner- After running the diner for two years, some circumstances changed and we felt that the entire scope of the Silver Lake Railroad was taking too much of our time and effort with the volunteer's we had. The whole place was headed on a bad path at that time. We felt that it would be a good idea to sit back and take a breather from the diner. This was not my decision, in fact I was not happy with the decision at first, however after going through a season without it I can tell you that life was SO much easier and MANY people still enjoyed sitting in there and eating their picnic lunch. I am now 100% convinced that the diner should stay a museum piece, so our efforts can be concentrated on running the "railroad," and running as many people as possible through the "train" ride to share the experience of that gorgeous natural scenery.

So as of now, the plan is to keep the diner "static display." Remember that circumstances do change over time and the Ice Cream diner is not a lost cause. We would all like to see it operate again, and hopefully that will be possible in the future but as of this year it is static display only. I must admit it is a hell of a place to eat a homemade sandwich.....
 #1166646  by Cosmo

I hear ya, man. Like I said, I LOVE those old diners, but if you look at the ones that actually OPERATE as diners, they get to be in rough shape after so long. And the one you have up there is GORGEOUS.
You can always put a barbacue grill outside the thing, maybe under a tent or something, for special occasions or real busy days and sell burgers and stuff then let folks eat inside if they want, (I dunno, maybe you guys do that now,) but I do agree it should be all about keeping the thing looking NICE.
It's like a classic car. It's fun to drive, GREAT to look at, but you don't want to take it to work every day. :wink:
 #1194302  by SilverLakeRailroad

The full summer schedule begins this weekend with train rides at

FRI- 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 PM (7:30 Sunset, and hopefully a moose sighting as well!)
SAT- 11AM 12, 1, 2, 3 PM
SUN- 11AM, 12, 1, 2, 3 PM

Its looking like tis going to be a great season with a bunch of new volunteers joining our team. If anyone is people person interested in being a Conductor/Station-Greeter, send me a PM!

It can never hurt to ask!
 #1197961  by SilverLakeRailroad

Save the Date

Remember that Sunday July 7th is the railroad's Birthday! Train Rides By Donation, and FREE CAKE AND LEMONADE to celebrate! Join us for a swell time!
 #1217073  by SilverLakeRailroad

Saturday (the 28th) is our annual Railfans Day! Not only have we PACKED the day with trains, but the 28th is PEAK foliage for us (with the swamps).

Remember we put A LOT of time and effort into making this event possible, so we hope the public and Railfan Community comes out and enjoys it!

We tried to fit as many departures into the day as possible. New for this year we will have both Heritage Units on each end of the regular train, which should make it look much more "train-like"!

To see the full schedule click here http://www.silverlakerailroad.com/RF%20 ... hedule.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to ask for a cab ride if you wish!
 #1218505  by SilverLakeRailroad

Thanks! For the first time on Railfans Day we tried running with a engine on each end (1555 south and 564 north). I took out the 1PM and wasn't even through the crossing before I figured out just how far superior it is for the operator when we are not in the middle of the train.

So, an engine on both ends stays! It finally looks more like a "train" and it looks really neat to have the MEC and B&M on each ends of the train.

I should have listened to one of the volunteers and tried that years ago!

We are running through Columbus Day WKND, come by for a ride!
 #1218751  by b&m 1566

Going camping in Crawford Notch this coming weekend. The wife and I might stop by Sunday before heading home. What are the departure times for this Sunday?
 #1219030  by FLRailFan1

Where is the Silver Lake Railroad?? Is it the old Wolfboro RR line?? Or is it the old B&M branch where yeild House had its factory??
 #1219047  by b&m 1566

They operate out of Madison Station on the Conway Branch. The station is on the north shore of Silver Lake.