Railroad Forums 

• Silver Lake Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1163929  by Cosmo

HA-ha-hah.
No, seriously... any NEW construction for such things is going to require permitting and aproval above and beyond anything of that type already existing. Again, not "impossible" but... potentially a serious PITA.
 #1163952  by steamer69

No Seriously.....EPA Approved Coal? Where do you guys come up with some of this stuff?!

As much as I'm loving this conversation, I've not got much time for arguing with people who don't want to listen. I have trains to run......so argue about it all you want. While you're coming up with fabricated reasons why it "can't be done", I'm going to be doing what "can't be done". Later!
 #1163965  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:No Seriously.....EPA Approved Coal? Where do you guys come up with some of this stuff?!

As much as I'm loving this conversation, I've not got much time for arguing with people who don't want to listen. I have trains to run......so argue about it all you want. While you're coming up with fabricated reasons why it "can't be done", I'm going to be doing what "can't be done". Later!
NOT "EPA approved COAL"...EPA approved STORAGE!!!!! Or at least, the STATE EPA or equivalent regulating body (here in CT it's the DEEP... same thing, different name,) but the govorning environmental- SHEESH! Do I gotta explain EVERYTHING to you Brett?
Ok, ok,... (takes a Midol and sips some coffee) sorry,... I feel better now.
No, seriously, what I am driving at here is there are going to be startup costs for an operation like that, even a small one. And sure, there may be ways around some things, but not everything. So my point still stands: "$500 K is not a BAD place to START from."
I will "iterate" that by saying that, "no, it does not all have to be simply cash-on-hand" or in the bank, and things like donated material and volunteer effort DO count, but... before you DO it, you really WANT to know where it's coming from or how you plan to get it.
GET it?
And SLR isn't planning on it anyway, so what's the point?
I fully support them using the funding they get now to improve and or fix the track, structure, property and the operating units they have NOW.
Maybe someday things will change up there and they might find themselves with the means to consider such an undertaking (like: Will wins the Tri-State Megabucks) but till then?
It is what it is.
 #1163976  by Cosmo

"EPA approved coal and lubricant storage facilities (because ones that could be grandfathered don't exist already on site)"
NOT "EPA approved coal." DO YOU SEE A PERIOD AFTER "COAL"??
(Oh jumpin Jimminy, Brett,... you're making me type all-caps now like "that OTHER guy!" :razz: )
 #1164456  by steamer69

Excuses are like butt holes. Everyone has one and they all stink. Like I said. Keep blowing smoke.....I'm running trains doing what "can't be done".

Sometimes reading all the back pedals makes me laugh, sometimes it makes me cry. I've got more than a mile of train to inspect. Later.
 #1164929  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:Excuses are like butt holes. Everyone has one and they all stink. Like I said. Keep blowing smoke.....I'm running trains doing what "can't be done".

Sometimes reading all the back pedals makes me laugh, sometimes it makes me cry. I've got more than a mile of train to inspect. Later.
Brett, who's "back-pedaling?" For that matter, why should SLRR's "excuses" smell any less rosy than your "reasons?" It's a matter of opinion, plain and simple.
You think think they should spend money they neither have nor want to spend on a project that is dicey at best.
They think they shouldn't.
Like Will said, (and I paraphrase): "As soon as you're willing to write the check..."
 #1164936  by ThinkNarrow

I would like to take this occasion to congratulate Will and the other fine folks at Silver Lake Railroad on having their excellent operation rise in profile to the point that The Committee of Experts on Railroad.Net is now devoting their expertise to that enterprise, ready and willing to get the last word in. :-)
 #1165182  by steamer69

Cosmo,
Trying to talk with you about any railroad, property, or decision is like trying to get a developmentally challenged wheelchair bound child to get up and walk of their own accord. Your reasoning is about as useful as a football Bat. Jumping in on someones side does not mean that the person or opinion that you are so staunchly defending is right. How many more times do I (as well as others) have to tell you this. I don't have the time, nor the inclination to have to double check the ramblings of someone who thinks that there is such a thing as EPA approved Coal....or some mystical minimum requirement in the EPA law (that I and many other people can't seem to find). It comes out of the ground, and can be stored on the ground.
Silver lake is a great ride....has plenty of untapped potential, and plenty of room for growth. I know this because I have ridden it. I think the premise is great. Now Pete, if you would like to take your nose out of every conversation that I try to have with someone, it would be much appreciated because it smells like the butt of almost every GM/Owner in New England. That's an awful lot of poop on one nose...... I tire of arguing with someone who can't back up their statements with reference to actual rules, practice, or at least a level of cognitive thought that merits a response. Now the original question was on the locomotives condition. No ones has inspected it so NO ONE KNOWS. Not you, not me, not Will....and no one quailified to talk about eh expense has said anything about it. So ramble on all you want. No one knows......not me, not you, not Will. No one. And you are not in a position to quote prices to anyone....
 #1165217  by MEC407

Guys, this is getting a lot more "personal attacky" than I'd like. I think everyone has made their point pretty well; can we wind this down, please?
 #1165391  by b&m 1566

SilverLakeRailroad wrote:The 2013 schedule is up. Hope B&M 1566 will visit over Memorial Day Weekend Again
I will make a valiant effort, however come April 22nd I will lose 8 hours a week because of the government sequester. My schedule is going to change and so is my income.
 #1165401  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:Cosmo,
Trying to talk with you about any railroad, property, or decision is like trying to get a developmentally challenged wheelchair bound child to get up and walk of their own accord. Your reasoning is about as useful as a football Bat. Jumping in on someones side does not mean that the person or opinion that you are so staunchly defending is right. How many more times do I (as well as others) have to tell you this. I don't have the time, nor the inclination to have to double check the ramblings of someone who thinks that there is such a thing as EPA approved Coal....or some mystical minimum requirement in the EPA law (that I and many other people can't seem to find). It comes out of the ground, and can be stored on the ground.
Silver lake is a great ride....has plenty of untapped potential, and plenty of room for growth. I know this because I have ridden it. I think the premise is great. Now Pete, if you would like to take your nose out of every conversation that I try to have with someone, it would be much appreciated because it smells like the butt of almost every GM/Owner in New England. That's an awful lot of poop on one nose...... I tire of arguing with someone who can't back up their statements with reference to actual rules, practice, or at least a level of cognitive thought that merits a response. Now the original question was on the locomotives condition. No ones has inspected it so NO ONE KNOWS. Not you, not me, not Will....and no one quailified to talk about eh expense has said anything about it. So ramble on all you want. No one knows......not me, not you, not Will. No one. And you are not in a position to quote prices to anyone....
Brett,... my part in this conversation with you is over.
I never said that YOU were wrong, only that SLR had their reasons and there is some justification for shooting for a figure of $500 k- not a "quoted price" of $500 K, but a ballpark figure of what to be PREPARED to spend on a 90 YR+ OLD LOCOMOTIVE THAT HAS HAD NO MAINTENANCE OR INDOOR STORAGE FOR OVER 40 YRS!
Better kept engines have cost more to restore.
Oh,.. and I DID back it up with examples of like-sized project locomotives.
All that means nothing to you. I never insulted you directly nor questioned your intelligence or expertise. I only wish you could have extended me the same courtesy. Guess you cant. Oh well... enjoy that beer, you can drink it yourself wherever you please.
 #1165458  by steamer69

I will. I'll enjoy it with railroaders while "Parking Lot Pete" does what he does best. I am not now, nor will I be dumping on you. Sorry that there are fickle sensibilities involved.
 #1165562  by MEC407

OK guys, that part of the discussion is now officially over. Got it? :)
 #1166068  by Cosmo

Folks, I'm sorry for engaging Mr. Steamer. I thought we could have a civil discussion. I was wrong.
So I'm not talking to Brett... but there are others here I would like to continue discussing things with.
(Besides, I have no use for someone who believes that steam locomotives simply run with no maintenance costs above whatever revenue they bring in, or that they somehow can run without cab appliances, water tanks, or even an INJECTOR and still make money... unless someone has a source of Magic Coal from SODOR they're holding out on us with.)
No, seriously, I do a lot more here than work the parking lot. I have access to loads of information, and I work side-by-side with people who have been working on these things for YEARS, so I have plenty of reason and plenty of back up for saying:
1) $500k to get a 90+ yr old engine with more parts missing than I can count on both hands to operate to the point of reliability is a LOW-BALL figure,
2) steam engines don't make money, they COST money, and
3) if you want to make a little money with a steam locomotive, start with a LOT of money first.
Why do you think the Valley RR has TWO operable and reliable diesels in it's fleet?
(Sorry guys, I know some of you hate hearing that, but it's the truth.)

No, SLRR has a good thing going with what they're doing, and I can see no reason for them to complicate things further.
Will, you guys are doing great up there, keep it up! I hope I'll get up to see you guys sometime this summer.

If anyone else has anything to say to me about it- PM ME.