Railroad Forums 

• Rail Line In VT That Parallels I 91?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#19193  by railtrailbiker

What is the rail line that parallels Interstate 91 through most of Vermont (I recently drove round trip from the MA border to Exit 24) and is it still active (freight or passenger)?

Thanks.

#19230  by shadyjay

From Brattleboro north to White River Jct....
Ex-B&M/CV Connecticut River Line
Freight- New England Central, Guilford (still?)
Passenger: Amtrak "Vermonter"

From White River Jct north to St Johnsbury...
Ex-B&M Connecticut River Line (to Wells River)
Ex-CP (Wells River, north to St J & beyond)
Freight today - VTRS / Washington County RR
Passenger: none
Recently "brought back from the dead" by VTRS

Hope this helps!

-Jay Hogan

#19248  by railtrailbiker

Is there any ROW north of St. Johnsbury?

#19561  by shadyjay

North of St J, the line continues to Newport, VT before leaving the US and then returning briefly (Richford?) before leaving for good and heading towards Montreal. VTRS/Washington County operates the line up to Newport, where they interchange with the MM&A (Montreal Maine & Atlantic). The line through ST J up to Newport and down to Wells River was part of the CP back in the day.

Also in St J, there's the line east to New Hampshire which I don't believe is in service anymore but isn't abandoned. The line to the west is the old Lamoille Valley/County/StJ&LC line which ran to near Saint Albans. I believe that's abandoned.

-Jay Hogan

#19586  by Tom Winans

The LVRC line heading west is under "railbanking" by the Vermont Agency of Transportation. Right now the State has a contractor brush cutting the line heading east from Swanton. after that the rails and ties will be pulled this summer and the road bed made into a winter sonwmobile trail and in the summer it will be a bike/ pedestrian trail. It will take some time and money since it has over grown with brush and many bridges have washed out along the line.