• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by GP40MC1118

Depending on the type of crossover or turnout, you can take
diverging routes at higher speeds. It all depends on what the
track is built and maintained for. Amtrak NEC has high speed
crossovers (good for 80MPH I think) for the Acelas.

Dave

by l008com

Heres another question I've been wondering but always forget to ask. The extra track at Anderson, the "freight bypass". Do the freight trains actually use that track or do they go through the station? I've never caught a freight train passing through there so I have no idea.

by l008com

BTW I saw a 10-15 car LOSA the other night, switching out Rhostiens. I was on the bridge watching, when a Downeaster came by. It honked 4 times. I thought it was done. Then it honked 4 more times, when it was right in front of me. My brain was vibrating. After they switched them out, they just kind of sat there for a long time. I was getting cold so I had to leave before I froze. I happened across a ton of trains that night. Funny how some nights you get em all and some nights you don't get any.
  by Rockingham Racer

GP40MC1118 wrote:Amtrak NEC has high speed
crossovers (good for 80MPH I think) for the Acelas.

Dave
That's correct, but only between Providence and Mill River on the North End of the NEC.
  by GP40MC1118

The "freight track" at Anderson is actually called Track 4 and not
exclusive to freight trains. Unfortunately, its only about 18 car
lengths long and not used all that often. I imagine if Transrail
ever get started at the Olin site, it'll be in use all the time.

LOSA, if I figure you're time period right, is usually held at
Anderson until No.344 goes south. The meet between No.343
and No.344 is between Winchester and Crawford Interlockings,
so letting LOSA down to Rothsteins head of No.344 is a no-no.
It's a 6-7 minute delay to No.343.

D

by l008com

The only time I've seen track 4 in use was when they parked the rail train there this summer. I've never seen losa waiting for at anderson, I'm not usually out that far that early at night. Although there was the one time I caught them switching out Wilmington cold storage at about midnight. That area will become quit a cool spot if they every rebuilt that bridge, and if they build that railroad off that spur. I might just have to start posting pics to nerail ;-)[/i]

by l008com

I was out Sunday night around the area. Nothing at wilmington cold storage, and it looks like they haven't had anything in a while. Rhostiens has some cars, thats about it. I was just happy to get out on my bike again for a change. I was expecting to see much activity. But I tell ya, jumping off the MBTA handicap platforms is MUCH easier with 55PSI in the tires!! So all in all it was a good bike ride :-P

---Oh one more thing. The bridge at the end of New Boston rd, doesn't look like they've started that at all. I wonder what they are waiting for.

by l008com

SO Friday night me and a friend were pedaling around the area, and we were at Mishuam checking out the platforms (aka jumping them). First an MBTA train went by, no bigge. Then another came by. I thought it was another MBTA. As it got closer I was like "oh its a downeaster". Then as it passed us, you could see it was just a locomotive. No train. This was heading north at probably in the area of 9pm, give or take an hour (or two).
  by GP40MC1118

That was an Amtrak lite engine move back to Portland from
Southampton Street Yard...

D

by l008com

That means it went via grand junction, right?

GJB

by GP40MC1118

Yes, if you're in Boston its the only way between the two sides.

d

by l008com

Hey so I just took a spin by Wilmington Cold Storage, nothing there now. However there were VERY fresh tracks in the sand. Very fresh, like after all that rain. Good to know they're not totally dead, and I have a chance of seeing some action there this season.

by paulrail

When did the Grand Junction Branch bridge over the Charles River become a single iron structure?

Paul

by rb

Took the CR to Lowell tonight.

Saw...
About 6 boxcars at Tighe
One boxcar at Rothstein
Over a dozen cement cars at the cement plant
What appeared to be one boxcar at Baker Commodities. Is this active?

I also saw a brickyard south of (in?) Woburn with a boxcar dock. Is that active?

by l008com

I'll be out there thursday night, hopefully i'll get lucky and see some action :-)