Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1516491  by l008com

Question: Why doesn't the TJX warehouse by the Woburn mall get rail service? They move a TON of good in an out of there. And a lot of it is already multimodal containers on trucks. They seem like an idea customer, and it would be a piece of cake to hook them up to the old industrial spur across the street, and hook that back up to the mainline. By "piece of cake", i mean the hurdles are minimal. The whole area is flat, there is ample physical space for it, it really seems like a no brainer. All night long, trucks are being jockeyed around the place and are coming and going. Given how many tractor-trailer shufflers they have, I wouldn't be surprised if they had rail service and their own trackmobile to shuffle boxcars around too.

Map Link (Shows up as Marshalls Distribution Center):
https://goo.gl/maps/N3c1rcb8h56jthjv9

A spur on the side of the southern leg of Commonwealth Ave could swing around the back of the building and be a massive double or even triple-track siding. Then cross Commerce Way, turn under the power lines and run long the old spur that used to be there. Clearly they have space issues when it comes to trailer storage. But they could potentially have a 1000 ft stretch of double track long the edge of the power lines, that they could get switched out daily, and use their trackmobile to feed them in and out all day long.

I know I'm using my railfan goggles but it just seems like such an obvious candidate for rail service.
 #1516547  by b&m 1566

You have to figure where the source is coming from too, a lot of the shippers sending product to TJX, probably don't have rail access themselves and a lot of the clothing itself probably comes from overseas in those very containers. Logistically it just make a lot more sense the way they do it now, The railroads are still getting a peace of the business with those containers, it's just much more streamlined and far more efficient than direct rail service and I think the management of the railroads prefer it that way.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1516918  by johnpbarlow

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm So is it correct that New England Transrail is trying to come back as a warehouse/transload facility (Wilmington-Woburn Intermodal, LLC)?
Yes, here's NET's STB filing from 3 years ago that details NET's intent with the site
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 240974.pdf

Overview excerpt:
The Project will consist of three basic areas:
(1) The Northeast corner of the facility, which will contain tracks to unload center-beam
and bulkhead flat cars to be transloaded onto trucks within a covered warehouse structure;
(2) The Center of the facility, which will contain interchange and transloading tracks
allowing the unloading of tank and hopper cars; and
(3) The West side of the facility, which will contain interchange tracks and transloading
tracks allowing the unloading of box cars into a cross-dock warehouse.
 #1517033  by bostontrainguy

Just out of curiosity I noticed that Crusader Paper moved to North Andover and although they are right next to the rail line, they do not have a spur.

There is another building across the street that looks not related. They have a spur that may/may not be usable. Can't tell by the maps I found. Maybe "SOLO" or "SOLQ" sign on the building.