Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1496952  by zski128

Atlantic plywood has on car spotted this morning. Transformer load just north of Anderson Worburn being unloaded by crane with two hopper cars as buffers. Usual amount of boxcars at Tighe in Winchester. Pan am 307 and 345 behind BET. There is also some siding work happening behind one of the warehouses on inner belt road. Some track has been repositioned with surveyor stakes and new ballast. New customer?
 #1497035  by GP40MC1118

Nothing to do with Boston Paperboard. Those reported surveyors stakes are to
do with the Green Line Project, as well as the remediation work I mentioned in
a previous post. In fact, I was told today that the MS Walker siding was
shortened - likely in preparation for building demolition.

D
 #1497225  by Rockguy

I am hoping I can rebuild our siding off the Wye at the Lowell Junction to start receiving sand and gravel cars that we are currently trucking in. See my other thread as we are looking for a gravel pit to mine and ship to Lowell junction. You guys probably know whats along the rails better than me.
 #1497365  by l008com

I noticed that through the Montvale area in woburn, they have cut back the growth WAYYYYYYY back. Like you can suddenly see twice as far down the tracks from the bridge. Not just brush removable but almost forest removal. Anyone know whats up with that? It almost looks like they are planning on doing some widening. I doubt it but that's what it looks like.
 #1497402  by zski128

I noticed they cleared the yard as well. There are a lot more cars stored there due to the work in Boston for the GLX. The track at the north end of the yard is mostly in place but would need some rehab before it saw any traffic. There has also been a string of cars At Anderson Woburn pretty consistently.
 #1498935  by ccutler

Rockguy wrote:I am hoping I can rebuild our siding off the Wye at the Lowell Junction to start receiving sand and gravel cars that we are currently trucking in. See my other thread as we are looking for a gravel pit to mine and ship to Lowell junction. You guys probably know whats along the rails better than me.
Rockguy the mighty Pan Am has plenty of heavily underutilized real estate in Billerica, maybe they can give you a long-term lease and sidings in there?
 #1498960  by b&m 1566

Billerica is no where near his property off of Lowell Jct., which has its own siding that he's hoping to rehab and receive rail shipments from. He does need a place to quarry though, somewhere on Pan Am' system that doesn't require interchange with other railroads and he's not looking for already established quarries, he wants virgin land (not yet touched), some place close to Pan Am tracks. NH is out, not sure what MA has to offer out west and NY for that matter. CT maybe but I think ME is where he needs to look.
 #1498995  by l008com

Why not the same source as the sand and gravel that goes to boston every night? Also do we know who this person is? I'm looking at the wye on google maps, and I suspect its the place just to the west of the wye, with what looks like cranes parked along its long unused wye
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1510203  by l008com

Time to put this thread back to work.

Lots of boxcars at Tighe Winchester lately. A full siding and a full second track. By full, I mean 6 to 8 boxcars.

There was a boxcar at Atlantic plywood, I haven't seen one there in quite a while.
Also, over the winter, snow plows hit some of my favorite boulders near here and knocked them out of alignment so they are no longer rideable :( very sad.
 #1510787  by l008com

So tonight, as I was coming up new boston road, probably a little after 10, there was a freight train idling on the 3rd track at anderson station. Pretty cool. Had what looked like a bunch of gondolas and a bunch of refrigerator cars. So I kept going and crossed over to.... the other new boston road. Shortly after, a light guilford engine comes scooting down the line, heading north. I of course assumed this was the engine off that train I just passed. Although I didn't understand going north. It had just passed all the switches, if it was trying to either run around it's train, or switch over to the other main line to go switch out a customer. But it kept heading north. There are no active customers to the north, at least up to the Wildcat split. So this confused me.

But then about 2 hours or so later, I was going through Anderson's parking lot and much to my surprise, the train is still there and so is it's locomotive!? So what was the one I saw go by already?

Activity in this neck of the woods sure has picked up vs where it was 10 years ago.