Railroad Forums 

• New CSX Auto Facility in East Brookfield/Spencer, MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#17964  by jfturner

I have been hearing about CSX finally developing some land out off Route 9 or 49 in the East Brookfield/Spencer area of Massachusetts.

Does anyone know more about this?

I would guess this may have to do with rumors about closing the auto facility in Framingham/Ashland. Maybe in Westboro off I-495 too?

I take it that such a move would require a large yard complex to hold both the auto racksand the autos themselves.

Are there any NIMBY issues with the 2 towns bordering the alleged site? I just don't see how they could fit something like that out in the middle of nowhere and not back up the smaller roads in the area. The MassPike is about 20 minutes from there.

Whose autos would be offloaded there? Just seems that with 3 facilities already in Central Mass a 4th would either be too many or some of the others would close.

#18026  by johnpbarlow

I was out there about 6 months ago or so and there was a lot of land clearing and right of way grading going on. It wasn't that easy to find as no highway goes close to it. I think it was to be a smallish yard with 2-3 tracks. I would guess it's getting near completion. I'm not sure what its impact will be on the Chrysler yard at Westboro and the GM yard at Framingham.
 #18235  by jfturner

I would definitely be interested in seeing the track layout and how they plan to make this work. I would guess it would have to be a fairly large facility with a number of unloading tracks if they plan to consolidate 3 auto yards into one.

Thanks in advance.
 #20882  by jfarrell

According to an article in today's Telegram, the new auto yard is looking to open on October 1st, 2004.