Railroad Forums 

• Vermont, near St. Johnsbury

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#16953  by highrail

I had the opportunity to go poking around in Vermont on Friday, following the line from White River Junction north to St. Johnsbury. I had not been up through that area in many years...great area. Got a good shot of the southbound freight, engine marked "Washington County RR". Great, friendly engineer, which was nice to see.

A question: South of St. Johnsbury on Rt 5, I think it was in Barnet, I came upon an odd collection of equipment in a field by the side of the road. Quite a collection of cars, a couple 44 toners, and old baggage car, and what looked like a coach at the back of the lot that may have dated from the very early 1900's. All the equipment looked pretty tired and beaten down by the weather exposure, which was pretty sad. Lots of "No Trespassing" signs, so I did not venture onto the property, but was able to get some good pics from the road. What is that place? Are they railfan friendly?

Another footnote, the restored station at Ely looks excellent. I assume that it is a private residence.

Thanks

Steve

#16968  by steveh

That equipment is owned by a gentleman named Dr. Kendall. There are also a couple of small heislers there, one of which was restored and operable in recent years.
Last edited by steveh on Sun May 02, 2004 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#16982  by Slowrider

The "gentlemans name" is Marvin Kendall, Dr, Marvin Kendall to be exact.
Stop by during sundays during the day, we'd love to get some new recruits to help out with the many projects or just enjoy the hobby of railroading. The reason why so many pieces are rusting away is the lack of help, so if you or anyone else would like to stop in for a visit feel free. I am sure he would be glad to show you around or put you to work if you feel inclined.....

Mark Fortin,

#17025  by BenH

What's the condition of the track between White River Junction and St. Johnsbury? I drove the same route (Route 5 I think) a few years ago and found the line to be somewhat overgrown. Any idea what the track speed is (today) on this stretch?

Northern Vermont is beautiful this time of year. Can't wait to get back there for a visit.

#17041  by joshuahouse

Are steam locomotives legal to opperate in VT now? I remember hearing that part of the reason Steamtown was sent south to Scranton was that amongst the goofyer laws past in VT back in the day was against the operation of steam locomotives.

#17060  by Slowrider

Track is in pretty bad shape, VRS has fixed up the very worst of spots just enough to support the now 2 daily trains they are running on the line, one in each direction, it is listed as 25mpr between Newport and Wells river but with numberous speed restrictions on bad bridges, sections of track, ect, and 10mph south of Wells River to WRJ, supposedly there is a tie replacment program begining very soon that will bring speed up to 25 across entire line.

M Fortin,

BenH wrote:What's the condition of the track between White River Junction and St. Johnsbury? I drove the same route (Route 5 I think) a few years ago and found the line to be somewhat overgrown. Any idea what the track speed is (today) on this stretch?

Northern Vermont is beautiful this time of year. Can't wait to get back there for a visit.

#17075  by highrail

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I will try to stop by on my next run into the area. Nice to know that it would be ok to stop in.

Steve

#17129  by Tom Winans

[quote="joshuahouse"]Are steam locomotives legal to opperate in VT now? I remember hearing that part of the reason Steamtown was sent south to Scranton was that amongst the goofyer laws past in VT back in the day was against the operation of steam locomotives.[/quote]

Steam Locomotives are still legal to operate in VT. The New England Central hosted a Steam excursion about six years ago.

One reason steamtown left Vermont was that fact that Vermont has an anti billboard law we have not had billboards since the 1970's this and other problems getting tourists to the Bellows Falls site and the promise of federal $$$$ in Scranton helped seal the move.