Railroad Forums 

• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1526683  by Dick H

That extra wide load probably would have not cleared the high level platforms (DE) on the single track at Exeter, Durham, Dover, Saco and Old Orchard. I am not sure if the MBTA has platforms at all the stations between Ballardvale and Haverhill that can be raised, Haverhill does.
 #1526707  by Hux

One would expect it to go as far east as possible. Given NEGS's history/experience with military equipment I guess it's not surprising this beast ended up in their hands.
 #1526758  by b&m 1566

I don't think they have ramp access in Manchester to off load flatbeds like they do in Canterbury.
 #1526777  by NHV 669

https://www.kalmarrt.com/militaryrt240 - click the PDF link

Company site states that the rig is 12' wide, which is the same as an M-1 Abrams tank. When I assisted in loading those on DoDX flats back in early 2012 at Fort Carson, I recall the track overhang having to be within 8'' of the top of the car edges on both sides. Surely this is a passenger platform issue, as it would clear just about anything else. From the above view taken by Mr. Dearness, it looks to be the same type of flat car they're using.
 #1526809  by BowdoinStation

New England Southern has two large unobstructed offloading ramps at their Canterbury World Headquarters made for jobs like this. Customers have all the room in the world to work, and the area around their yard is safe as that equipment was left in the yard for a few days. The flat car was of the 6 axle variety.
 #1541894  by Narrowgauger

Rumors are abounding that the NES is being sold to the VTR. And I quote "They are supposed to be buying the New England Southern. They have two more Leases coming, GP38’s.They will be servicing a gravel quarry " Sent to me . As we all know this stuff is top secret nonsense but is there any truth to it?
 #1541991  by steam1246

"As WE all know this stuff is top secret nonsense but is there any truth to it?" Well, if it's really nonsense--why would anyone ask about "truth"? Well, the truth is the sale of the NEGS HAS been confirmed--though not publically, yet--by the owner of NEGS and principles in the Vermont Rail System. NEGS fans, hold your horses because by June 30th you'll have some very exciting "news" to celebrate! For those of you who don't know how VRS operates, consider this: VRS consists of a number of companies that remains separate for legal reasons, but work closely together for the common good of all. For example--some VRS companies are railroads; others are transload sites, railcar repair facilities, property management locations, investment entities, etc. VRS invests to make money, and has a record of doing very well at it! Look for VRS to provide NEGS with all important working capital the current NEGS owner doesn't have in his back pocket--and with the NEGS up for sale, really doesn't want to borrow. As anyone knowledgeable in railroad management will tell you, "new business" often requires MONEY for the infastructure needed to support that business. So before railfans start babbling and/or speculating about "nonsense", think about what a VRS acquisition of NEGS WILL potentially offer.