Railroad Forums 

• Pepperell & Brookline Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#13964  by eriemike

I was driving through Pepperall the other day and noticed two ROW not that far from each other. They were on both sides of the Nashua River and ather some research, found out that one of them was the Pepperell & Brookline that was part of the Fitchburg RR and the other was the B&M WN&P.

I read that there was a connection made between the P&B with the WN&P in the 1940's does anyone know where the connection was? Is a good chunk of either ROWs walkable?

#13989  by citystation1848

The Worcester & Nashua is the Nashua River Rail Trail, a paved path that runs from Ayer to the MA/NH state line. As for the Brookline & Pepperell, I do not know of the condition of the right of way.

Photos of the Nashua River Rail Trail

To access the connection between the two, go to East Pepperell. Near the Shawnee and Lowell Street intersection the right of way of the W&N crosses. Find someplace to park, and walk north on the trail. The trail enters the woods, and on your left you'll notice a branch going off. This is the old crossing. If you don't see it on your walk north, it's more noticable walking south.

History of the Fitchburg's B&P
History of the W&N

I'm hosting a bike ride on the Nashua River Rail Trail on May 2nd. It leaves Ayer at 10.30 in the morning. You're invited to come along. If you don't have a bike, there are rentals available in Ayer. The trail is 11 miles long.

Matt

#14713  by barnjo

A good stretch of the Brookline & Pepperell ROW can be found by the state fishing area at Prescott Street south to the Nissitissit River, where you run into abutments to a long-gone trestle. The line went under Prescott St. on a now-filled in cut, so you have scamper down and up a hill to get to the ROW (and dodge standing water near the road). To the north the ROW is evident but is not in as good a shape, it is easier to follow North St. (the former North Pepperell depot was located up that street a short distance north of the old brick schoolhouse) where an embankment clearly shows the ROW, which is walkable but has much evidence of growth, then bearing west away from the road heading towards New Hampshire. The state line still has a marker there, though it's in the woods a bit. The ROW is in noticably better shape in Hollis (with a wooden footbridge replacing an old trestle) since it is part of a town trail system continuing all the way to West Hollis St.

Beaver Brook Association Trail Maps

The western sections of the ROW in Hollis and South Brookline are generally in good shape but because of several missing trestles (and some development in Brookline) are highly problematic to access.

#15550  by eriemike

Thanks for the info. I will have to get myself out there for some exploring.

#17139  by citystation1848

I checked out the crossing of the Nashua River during the bike ride Sunday in Pepperell. The abutments, if you want to call them that, are still in the ground, other than that it's just a dirt path and no signs of a bridge across the river. We did find the timbers from the bridge, which we caught a passing local who confirmed the origin.

Matt

Click on the following to see larger photos.

Image Image

#21069  by barnjo

Another section of the Brookline & Pepperell ROW that is publicly accessible is the section north of Route 119 known as the Nashua River Westside Rail Trail, it can be seen periodically from Route 111 (River Road) looking towards the river. Access to the northern end of the town-owned RR bed off River Road is the dirt path across from the Pepperell town forest picnic area (where parking is available) just before the horse track. To the north the ROW is overgrown