Railroad Forums 

• Wolfeborough Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#203490  by steveh

Last edited by steveh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

#351477  by superwarp1

I rod the Wolfeboro when I was a kid, it was a joy. It was sad when I found out it was torn up. Went back a few years ago to the old station now a visitors center and ask what happened to the RR. The lady says not a day goes by when someone doesn't ask about what happen. Ohwell life goes on I guess.

#363505  by B&Mguy

It''s too bad the line is gone. Although at least they retained the rails for speeder use. I guess that's better than just ripping out the rails and selling off the land. I plan to bike the line in the spring or summer and get some photos of whatever railroad artifacts still remain. I wonder if they'll ever retore the rail connection to the NHN especially with the Silver Lake Railroad opening to the north.
 #365904  by NHN503

Steamer wrote:Heres one interesting way to find out more about the Wolfeboro Branch!

See this YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-VmRMv5hDI
The maker of the video is trespassing on state property.

I know for a fact that the maker of the RailRider is not in the CVRTC club, and riding on the Wolfeboro Branch would be in violation of the law. Only the CVRTC has an agreement with the State to be physically riding on the rails on the Wolfeboro Branch, and as well as our 8 miles on the Conway Branch.

As railcar owners we try to be respectful as possible to the laws, and do not condone "rogue riding" as it puts a mark on the rest of the hobby.
 #367058  by JJJeffries

Hello All:

When I was a DJ in Boston in the 1970s many a weekend I spent on the train with some hi tech equipment recording the sounds of the steam engine and the sounds of the train and announcements.

Those were the best of times in my living in New England. I even asked President Miller of the Maine Central for permission to ride the nightly freight from Intervale to Crawford Notch to get the sounds of the engines (ALCO) and one session it was in a thunderstorm and the sound is the best I have ever heard.

Alan Dustin of the B&M also helped out. Gosh, I loved my stay in New England. I was there from 1967-78. Plus, all the great fresh seafood.

Best,
Craig

#367067  by b&m 1566

So... whatever happened to this railroad? Why did it close down? What year did it last operate and could it ever come back? What's the scenery like on the line?

#367097  by NHN503

b&m 1566 wrote:So... whatever happened to this railroad? Why did it close down? What year did it last operate and could it ever come back? What's the scenery like on the line?

The scenery is pretty good. The best part is the causeways when you enter Wolfeboro Falls. Mainly money was the reason for shut down.
 #367103  by GP40MC 1116

Ian MacMillan wrote:
Steamer wrote:Heres one interesting way to find out more about the Wolfeboro Branch!

I know for a fact that the maker of the RailRider is not in the CVRTC club, and riding on the Wolfeboro Branch would be in violation of the law. Only the CVRTC has an agreement with the State to be physically riding on the rails on the Wolfeboro Branch, and as well as our 8 miles on the Conway Branch.

As railcar owners we try to be respectful as possible to the laws, and do not condone "rogue riding" as it puts a mark on the rest of the hobby.
This kills me..

Why on earth do people do illegal things, and then videotape themselves doing so and post it on YouTube. Thats just really retarded.

I am sure the State or someone hasn't brought it up to the attention of them now.
 #368704  by Steamer

Ian MacMillan wrote:

Railriders have permission from the state of New Hampshire to ride on the Wolfeboro branch! See the webpage:

http://www.railriders.net/wolfeboro.htm

On this web site, Ron Forester, the builder of the Railriders Quotes:

"The State of NH has given Railriders permission to use these tracks. There are 11 miles of track kept in great condition by THE COTTON VALLEY RAIL TRAIL CLUB. From Wolfeboro, NH, get on Rt. 28 N, then at 7-11 turn right to tracks. 1/4 mile down is Fernald Station where you'll be able to start Railriding."

I have spoken with Ron, and he says he has written permision from the state of New Hampshire to allow his devices on the Wolfeboro branch. He is also on friendly terms with CVRTC and they have no problems with his devices on the line as long as proper safety protocol is followed. Did you notice that in the video they are wearing yellow safety vests? I do agree that if anyone intends to utilize the branch on a regular basis they should join the CVRTC and help support them in their efforts to maintain the ROW for all to enjoy!

Steamer
 #369939  by NHN503

Steamer wrote:
Ian MacMillan wrote:

Railriders have permission from the state of New Hampshire to ride on the Wolfeboro branch! See the webpage:

http://www.railriders.net/wolfeboro.htm

On this web site, Ron Forester, the builder of the Railriders Quotes:

"The State of NH has given Railriders permission to use these tracks. There are 11 miles of track kept in great condition by THE COTTON VALLEY RAIL TRAIL CLUB. From Wolfeboro, NH, get on Rt. 28 N, then at 7-11 turn right to tracks. 1/4 mile down is Fernald Station where you'll be able to start Railriding."

I have spoken with Ron, and he says he has written permision from the state of New Hampshire to allow his devices on the Wolfeboro branch. He is also on friendly terms with CVRTC and they have no problems with his devices on the line as long as proper safety protocol is followed. Did you notice that in the video they are wearing yellow safety vests? I do agree that if anyone intends to utilize the branch on a regular basis they should join the CVRTC and help support them in their efforts to maintain the ROW for all to enjoy!

Steamer
I wouldn't exactly call what is on his website truthful... Yes the Ossipee Line and Wolfeboro line are open to railcar usage, regardless of club membership....HOWEVER his RailRider does not fit safety requirements set up by CVRTC or NHDOT to be LEGALLY running on either line. Other than their yellow safety vests, which are not a requirement, a "track motor cars or similar vehicle" whereas similar vehicle would be a Railrider, you shall lights, flags, etc....and a NH OHRV registration.

However, one of the largest things would be insurance. Our clubs insurance covers you on the rail and at grade crossings as long as you are not determined to be grossly negligent. By riding and not 1. having your own RR insurance, or 2. Joining the club and the insurance is included in the $70 yearly membership, you are are pretty much making the assumption that you or someone else would not get hurt, and possibly make the club who maintains the line look bad ( even if you are not a member).

#432119  by superwarp1

Boy does that bring back memories from the late 70's. I was just there last week and was in the visitor's center. Talking to the nice ladies who remember the railroad.
 #1233516  by Trainlover479

Hey Steamer, could you post the pictures you took of #250 here? I would love that picture of #250 on the Sanbornville turntable especially