Railroad Forums 

• Gravel pits/quarry

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1497133  by Rockguy

I was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I’m looking for a quarry or gravel pit for sale along a panam rail line. Could possibly be just a large tract of land. I’m looking to mine it and send the cars to our yard in Andover at the Lowell junction. The gravel cars from ossipee won’t sell to anyone just use for there own concrete.

Currently trucking down from Belmont area and hoping rail will be slighly cheaper and more productive than trucking.

Thanks for the help.
 #1497140  by newpylong

Rockguy,

If you have not already done so it may be beneficial to reach out to Pan Am to see if their Real Estate and/or Marketing and Sales groups might be able to help you locate something.
 #1497154  by Calebharris39

If my memory serves me right there is 3-4 inactive sand/gravel pits along the siding by bow powerplant/ Cement Quebec in Bow. If not i know there is also a a stale pit that may have some gravel left in on the NHN line before ossipee
 #1497160  by Rockguy

Yes I’m talking with them in bow. That’s tough for rail to be economical as close enough to truck.

NHN is a competitior and wasn’t interested in giving me pricing.

Area around Lowell junction is getting built up and no more local gravel pits.
 #1497242  by Calebharris39

I hope you do get some transparency out of bow there is countless land close to the rail line/siding there that can have bountiful product come out of the land
 #1497257  by Ridgefielder

Did Tilcon shutter the traprock operation in New Britain, on the Highland? They might be worth a call. Or anything else right in that area.
 #1497266  by b&m 1566

For Woodstock, NH that territory is under New England Southern' s umbrella they operate out of Canterbury, NH interchange with Pan Am in Concord and have freight rights all the way up to Lincoln, NH. I have no idea what tracks of land exist along the line but Peter Dearness is the owner of the railroad, he's a very nice and friendly guy to talk too, he may or may not know what land is available close to the rail line that you could use for your business.
 #1497277  by Rockguy

Woodstock doesn’t have enough material left. Either does Campton. I need to stay on panam as interchange fees add up.
 #1497278  by Rockguy

FatNoah wrote:This appears to be adjacent to the state owned railroad in Woodstock, NH: http://woodstocksandandgravel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
St Pierre Sand and gravel in Charlestown, NH also looks well situated near Pan Am tracks.
Charlestown looks likes it’s just a processing yard. I don’t see any active mining going on. That’s what our pit is like in Wilmington. We process material there but don’t mine it there.
 #1497280  by Rockguy

Ridgefielder wrote:Did Tilcon shutter the traprock operation in New Britain, on the Highland? They might be worth a call. Or anything else right in that area.
No they haul to NYC which pays more for the stone.
 #1497281  by Calebharris39

What kind of exact material are you trying to source? I know of a couple of pits between concord and nashua that might be of interest.
 #1497284  by Rockguy

Looking for sand for concrete, round river rocks for landscapers and crushed stone for contractors. The material in Bow is good for concrete sand. Belmont has great gravel with round river rocks.