Railroad Forums 

• Washington County Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#464  by Slowrider

Piggy Back traffic will now begin to be seen running in the midst of WACRs Conn River Trains...........

http:/groups.yahoo.com/group/VRSandRutland/

M Fortin,

#469  by steve

is there any reglarity to the operation in Montpelier? Thanks.

#610  by Guest

steve wrote:is there any reglarity to the operation in Montpelier? Thanks.
This would be a good question to ask Scott Whitney of the VRS and Rutland yahoo list. I do not know the exact answer but I think they either run a few times a week or just as needed....

Again Maybe he can clarify for you....

M Fortin,
 #2995  by Slowrider

For those that missed that long line of pigs today, supposedly there are an equal amount heading north out of WRJ tomorrow. Keep your eyes peeled!! (and your fingers crossed!)

M Fortin,

#3079  by jwallacect

Do any of you know where the piggyback traffic originates/terminates? Is it a single commodity like the old french fry traffic, or is it mixed traffic?
I hope it tuuns into a big success for VRS.
 #3162  by Slowrider

I believe it goes from Presq Isle to somewhere on Mass Central?
 #3968  by Slowrider

Those trailors will be hauling.......Firewood! To all the Folks down southern New England. Supposedly there is a big Market fot the stuff.

M Fortin

Slowrider wrote:Piggy Back traffic will now begin to be seen running in the midst of WACRs Conn River Trains...........

http:/groups.yahoo.com/group/VRSandRutland/

M Fortin,

#4496  by jwallacect

Firewood!.....who woulda thought! Yes, there is a market for it down here in the south. How many pigs were in that southbound train?

#4698  by Slowrider

Haven't seen any Pigs southbound yet. I don't believe that firewood will be the only thing they will be shiping, but it is still a little unclear right now. Give it a few months and I bet they'll have a few things being shiped.
There is supposed to be another set of empty pigs heading northbound over the WACR/MM&A to Newport, and then Farnham and Presq Isle either today or sometime the begining of this week to get ready for the new service. There has been talk that if traffic grows enough it may be possible for it to have its own dedicated train. But I would imagine if that were to be the case then it will be a little while.

Chop Hardenberg's Atlantic Northeast Rails and Ports is a great source of this info. A monthly subscription will give you more great info on this and other subjects of our northeastern railroads.

M Fortin,
jwallacect wrote:Firewood!.....who woulda thought! Yes, there is a market for it down here in the south. How many pigs were in that southbound train?
 #5327  by StJ40s

What are the issues involved in getting a web cam set up in St. Johnsbury? Are they financial, legal, or other?

Judging from the interest shown in this site, it seems there are others like me who would like to see in real-time the progress being made on returning St. J. to at least some status as a rail center. If a resumption of service on the east-bound route ever occurs, it would be great to see that on camera.

What happened to Rivertrip? His posts were interesting supplements to Slowrider's. Any posts on this subject are more than welcome.
 #5437  by Slowrider

Yes, I too was wondering where Rivertripp has been, havn't heard from him since this site was restructured. Usually a web cam would be placed in high traffic density areas, and as St j has seen a little bit of a resurgence in traffic lately 2 trains a day, 5 days a week. (as you may know up from 2 a week just a little over a year ago) You may be still waiting there for a while before you see something. But if the this Log unloading in St j and new piggy back traffic grows like the rest of the traffic, then maybe there will be more to see for a webcam. I read a recent statement by MM&A officials that were quite surprised as well as pleased with the growth of traffic being interchanged at Newport, especially boxcar traffic. So I imagine, as they have already shown, that VRS will slowly be trying to build this up into another viable though route.

Ive got a good hunch. :)

M Fortin
 #5701  by rivertripp

O.K. I'm back! Also at the yahoo Rutland group as Railtripp. Anyway, there is at last some action in St. J with the log transload, and they drop empties on the way down, to pick up northbound again. But I'm thinking the meet at Wells River at about noon is the most interesting now for a web cam.
 #5710  by Slowrider

P.I. intermodal facility reopens

PRESQUE ISLE - Trucks, trains and box trailers are moving in and out
of Skyway Industrial Park after two inactive years.

Last week's renewal of traffic stems from a local customer's
decision to move goods through Presque Isle Intermodal, the city-
owned terminal leased to a company affiliated with the Montreal,
Maine and Atlantic Railway.

Intermodal shipping involves at least two forms of transportation,
in this case, by road and rail.

The intermodal operation has been idle since March 2002 because of a
lack of customers, according to Larry Clark, executive director of
the Presque Isle Industrial Council, which manages Skyway Industrial
Park.

Clark would not identify the customer using the terminal.

Twenty-six box trailers arrived Tuesday at the facility's rail yard.
Another 30 to 60 are expected to be positioned at the site for
transporting local products out of town.

Goods leave Presque Isle on rail cars to be delivered to Palmer,
Mass., and, from there, are distributed throughout the country by
train or truck.

A Canadian business also is looking at the facility for transporting
products, Clark said.

Since last week, traffic has been moving steadily to and from the
facility, which is operated by Logistics Management Systems, an
affiliate of the railroad based in Bangor.

LMS was part of the former Bangor and Aroostook Railroad, which went
bankrupt. Its new owner renamed it the Maine, Montreal and Atlantic.

"We're very encouraged by the recent activity," Clark said. "But
what we're really excited about is to see new traffic up and
operating again ... [because] the yard provides to businesses in the
County another means of moving their product out of the area."