Railroad Forums 

• Twin State Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1496222  by gokeefe

Calebharris39 wrote:Still shows on Pan Am's updated 2019 trackage map that they still have intentions from whitefield to st'j
The system map is not a primary indicator of operational intent.
 #1496228  by Calebharris39

Yea i know as much. Just wondering if they may do something now since the Twin State has expired
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1496243  by gokeefe

Sale appears to be the only option that makes any sense given the track conditions and total lack of online traffic potential.
 #1496370  by gokeefe

Can't be much. Right of way in many states is tax exempt. Facilities and underlying land are taxable.
 #1496381  by Calebharris39

Exactly they are tax exempt from NH statute (NH Rev Stat § 228:60-c (2015)) and in Vermont VT. Stat. Ann. tit. 19 § 1111(a)
 #1496382  by S1f3432

Ownership of the west end protects Panam's paper barrier of overhead traffic on the Mountain Sub as has been
discussed multiple times and likely doesn't cost them much. Those restrictions could be written into a sales agreement
but lacking traffic why would anyone agree to that? If the State(s) were to demonstrate a public need they might use
eminent domain proceedings but again where is the need and how much is it going to cost?
 #1496445  by NHV 669

Yes, it would be Vermont only. They don't own anything on the NH side, note that it was state-owned equipment that brush cut the line recently.
 #1497631  by BandA

If it isn't worth much then it will be easy to take it by eminent domain, lol. Unless railroads are preempted from eminent domain by the STB?
 #1497760  by newpylong

Unless the Gilman site is reused for something that has serious tonnage potential, no one wants this line.
 #1497769  by NHV 669

newpylong wrote:Unless the Gilman site is reused
Even this hasn't happened as of the start of the year; the proposed pellet factory never happened. Local radio station out of Whitefield mentioned last week that the town "wants to look at turning local rail beds to "hiking trails" as well as creating a "town forest." They didn't specify which lines, though.

The former B&M Berlin Branch seems obvious, the line is dead west of the diamond. CSRX has pulled all but two former SJL hoppers off the siding west of 116, and has formally abandoned operations to Alder Brook. Track is still in place until just past the old yard behind Riverside Drive in Littleton.

I'm surprised they haven't pulled it up yet, the STB filing shows the town of Littleton, as well as the state, are in agreement on continuing the multi -use trail east to the Bethlehem line, and tying the downtown portion in with the local RiverWalk path.

They may be talking about the Mountain as well, however that line sees snowmobile use just west of town headed towards Scott Jct.
 #1497792  by gokeefe

I have to admit ... These days I'm always curious whenever I see this thread popup in my list.

Always wondering if there's going to be a report of an STB filing or perhaps "The Jordan spreader just went by my house down the line through the snow banks and pushed over all the trees."

Kidding as to the latter of course but a lot of unexpected things have happened in the past few years.
 #1518783  by gokeefe

Little bit of tea leaf reading here but has a "Project Engineer" listed as the point of contact for Pan Am Railways/Twin State (noted as "Closed"). Link doesn't work so those wishing to see for themselves will have to search Google for "VTrans Contact Information Map, Railroads in Vermont" or something to that effect. The Map is dated June 2019.