Railroad Forums 

• Troy (N.H.) Granite Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1492696  by trainsinmaine

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any information on the Troy Granite Railway, which was chartered by the State of New Hampshire in 1899. It veered off the Cheshire Branch of the Fitchburg (B&M) Railroad somewhere near the center of Troy, wound around some back neighborhoods up the hill from the woolen mill, and terminated at a granite quarry on the east side of the town. There are no USGS topo maps that depict it, nor have I seen any photos of it. I first learned of it from a former minister of the Troy Congregational Church who once pointed out to me the abutments of a short bridge that carried the ROW across a little stream in the back yard of the parsonage. Then I recently read a passing reference to it on Facebook. I'm curious to know how long it operated and just where the quarry was.
 #1492704  by edbear

Try the B & M RR HS in Lowell. I worked for the B & M 1968-86 and managed property records for much of that time. The B & M RR HS got a lot of B & M property records when we moved out of 150 Causeway Street in Boston, 1983. The Troy Granite RR was inventoried as part of the B & M Valuation, although it is noted that the Granite RR was not B & M property. Engineering, notes and sketches are filed under Valuation Section 39.1. I think you'll find some of the trackage on the Valuation Maps. Troy is on Valuation Section 39.1 and look for Map 24.