Railroad Forums 

• Newport Secondary Track Rehab on Aquidneck Island in RI

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1484525  by BostonUrbEx

Bernard Cartier, vice president of ECC Corp. of Cumberland, was overseeing the work on Wednesday and said his company has a contract to replace the railroad tracks and railroad ties for about 1,200 feet at the southern end of the rail line that runs along the west side of Aquidneck Island and is known as the Newport Secondary Line.

The new metal railroad tracks will be a heavier gauge, 115 pounds per yard, to replace the 80 pounds-per-yard tracks that were removed, Cartier said. The work that has been done since Aug. 13 counts as “heavy maintenance work,” he said.

The DOT will oversee a $629,000 contract to restore the railroad crossings at Elm Street and Poplar Street, which are near the Newport Depot in the Point neighborhood; the crossing at Admiral Kalbfus Road in the north end of Newport; and the Stringham Road crossing in Portsmouth, as well as 300 feet on either side of those crossings.
Read more details here: http://www.newportri.com/news/20180829/ ... g-replaced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1484543  by BostonUrbEx

They're making these improvements for the dinner train first and foremost. There's no pressing need to rebuild the bridge until South Coast Rail looks more likely, unless there's some sort of freight interest (I don't know of any, maybe the Navy?).
 #1484573  by GE45tonner

I don’t think the Navy sees enough activity on the base for any regular service. But until south coast rail happens keeping the line in good shape for the N&NB is a good way of keeping the corridor in use. The tracks into downtown Newport absolutely needed to be repaired for more rail traffic.

Aquidneck Island is only going to get more crowded and there’s only so much space. That rail corridor is going to be awfully important someday. Although some islanders with a conservation mindset may be opposed to it, the sheer amount of highway traffic is what is going to choke the island out, environmentally and socially. A train to the mainland (possibly trains to providence via the east bay, more of a long shot lol) would ease a lot of that.

But in the mean time these crossing and track upgrades are important in keeping the Newport Secondary open for the dinner and scenic trains. RIDOT included a .75 mile rail shuttle from Newport in their plans for the Pell Bridge Ramp rebuild, so until the SRB can be rebuilt these short term, baby step upgrades can have a lot of potential.
 #1485452  by Ridgefielder

I was up that way for a week leading up to Labor Day and my wife actually bought us the "rail explorers" tour on the north end of the line. They call it a "railbike" but it's more like a pedal-powered version of a speeder. Two seats, four wheels, a brake and pedals turning a chain geared to the front axle.

Anyway, I was pretty shocked by the condition of the line. Granted the speeder didn't have shocks so far as I could tell but the track was rough. Looked like about every 3rd or 4th tie needed to be replaced. Ballast dirty with some small trees sprouting just outside the gauge.

_

#1485459  by Ken W2KB

_
Last edited by Ken W2KB on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1485460  by Ken W2KB

Ken W2KB wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:I was up that way for a week leading up to Labor Day and my wife actually bought us the "rail explorers" tour on the north end of the line. They call it a "railbike" but it's more like a pedal-powered version of a speeder. Two seats, four wheels, a brake and pedals turning a chain geared to the front axle.

Anyway, I was pretty shocked by the condition of the line. Granted the speeder didn't have shocks so far as I could tell but the track was rough. Looked like about every 3rd or 4th tie needed to be replaced. Ballast dirty with some small trees sprouting just outside the gauge.
FRA Class 1 track standards allowing conventional passenger train speed of 15 MPH requires only 5 good ties per 39 linear feet of track (6 good ties if 2 or more degree radius curve) which is generally implemented as every 5th tie in tangent track must be in good condition. So if every 3rd or 4th tie needed replacement, the track is above the standards for many short lines and tourist train operation. I did look at the track condition on Aquidneck Island one day mid-summer and it looked better than other active lines I've seen.
 #1485483  by Noel Weaver

Ken W2KB wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:I was up that way for a week leading up to Labor Day and my wife actually bought us the "rail explorers" tour on the north end of the line. They call it a "railbike" but it's more like a pedal-powered version of a speeder. Two seats, four wheels, a brake and pedals turning a chain geared to the front axle.

FRA Class 1 track standards allowing conventional passenger train speed of 15 MPH requires only 5 good ties per 39 linear feet of track (6 good ties if 2 or more degree radius curve) which is generally implemented as every 5th tie in tangent track must be in good condition. So if every 3rd or 4th tie needed replacement, the track is above the standards for many short lines and tourist train operation. I did look at the track condition on Aquidneck Island one day mid-summer and it looked better than other active lines I've seen.
I still say these track conditions are adequate for a line of this nature. After all it is only used by dinner or tourist trains, it is not connected to the national rail system and is not used for interchange freight service and has very little potential for growth. WHEN AND IF they find a way to restore the rail connection at Tiverton then it might be time to do some serious track restoration on this line but not before that happens. I have doubts that anything that makes sense is in the cards at this time. If Rhode Island has money to burn it would make a lot more sense to restore the P & W between Woonsocket and Boston Switch and get passenger trains running here. There are a lot of places where money spent on railroad upgrades will make sense but this is not one of them.
Noel Weaver
 #1485553  by Ridgefielder

Ken W2KB wrote:FRA Class 1 track standards allowing conventional passenger train speed of 15 MPH requires only 5 good ties per 39 linear feet of track (6 good ties if 2 or more degree radius curve) which is generally implemented as every 5th tie in tangent track must be in good condition. So if every 3rd or 4th tie needed replacement, the track is above the standards for many short lines and tourist train operation. I did look at the track condition on Aquidneck Island one day mid-summer and it looked better than other active lines I've seen.
To be fair I guess I haven't actually ridden down any other lines facing forward from a seat mounted 6" above the railhead. :-D
 #1485560  by b&m 1566

Last year, I got to rid in a cart pulled by a speeder on a railbanked line. I sat directly above the axle which of course had no suspension of any kind (not sure if sitting in the middle would've made a difference), so I imagine those railbikes are a lot more comfortable. One thing I do know, I felt every rail joint for about 2 days after that ride.