Railroad Forums 

• Unexpected Railfanning Hazards?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1392295  by B&Mguy

After an encounter with a very territorial dog while driving down a rural Maine road to a former station site that caused me to abort the trip, I got to wondering, what are some of the unexpected hazards of our hobby of rail fanning in New England? I know that this isn't entirely New England specific, but I'd be interested to hear different stories and experiences. Be it wildlife, weather, or treacherous roads to access sites.

Moderator, please remove this post if it's too far outside the forum parameters.
 #1392305  by bubbytrains

Good topic IMO.

I don't railfan nearly as much as I did 10 or 20 years ago, but most of my troubles related to driving and cars. Once I was returning at nightfall from railfanning Brownville Jct when I came upon a large group of moose in the road. Moose are hard enough to see at night as it is, but in this instance an oncoming car had his highbeams on which were blinding me. At the last moment one of the moose was silhouetted in the car's headlight and I slowed in time. I flashed the other car to warn him, but he never slowed down or dimmed his lights. I don't think he even saw the moose or how close he was to colliding with them.

Most of my driving troubles are the other idiots behind the wheel.

I have had a few car troubles while chasing trains, and of course they are usually on quiet dirt backroads. Dead battery, failed alternator, flat tire, and at least once locking my keys in the car. Never got stuck or an accident, but I sure have gotten the car muddy or dusty and scraped the bottom more than a few times. I've encountered some people in "awkward situations" on some of those remote dirt roads. It embarrasses me more than them I think.

Police always seem interested in inquiring why I am parked in the dark with my lights off near tracks, but they have always been professional when I gave them a polite and honest answer. The only problem is they usually come just as the train I have been waiting for hours finally arrives so I can't give it my full attention.

A couple of times I have been trackside when a flatcar with loose metal strapping came flailing by. First time was a bulkhead with lumber (remember those?) and the second was last year at the east end of Waterville Yard with a flat of plate steel. I was on adjacent restaurant property so I was not in danger, but it would have been serious injury because that stuff is sharp.

I have had an occasional encounter with loose dogs, but never got bit or attacked. I would go sit in my car until it got tired of me.

Largely my experiences have been positive. I have seen wonderful sights of nature and rural vistas. I love exploring new back roads. I love the peace and quiet of simply waiting for a train, listening to the sounds of birds, watching wild turkeys, deer, foxes, etc. The only time have heard whip-poor-whils was while railfanning. i have met a lot of nice railroad people, some of whom I have helped give a ride to in certain circumstances.
 #1392314  by Noel Weaver

I think one of the biggest problems could be dangerous snakes of which there are many all along the eastern seaboard and not just in the scenic areas of the northeast. My home state, Florida, has probably the largest concentration of poisonous snakes of any of these states. People around these parts often get nailed by the worst ones, Pygmy Rattlesnakes which don't get too large and have a nasty temperment and very potent venom. The other one is the Cottonmouth Moccasion which is often found around scenic areas along canals, rivers and lakes everywhere in the south. A lot of folks get nailed by one of these or one of the several other dangerous species that frequent South Florida. We are also the only place in the entire world that has both Crocodiles and Alligators. These critters can be dangerous but you leave them alone and generally they will leave you alone. Florida also has lots of black bears and a few panthers but they will generally go out of their way to avoid humans. In the northeast both the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys have a large population of Rattlesnakes and Copperheads and they are much harder to detect and can be extremely dangerous.
I hope did not alarm anybody, just be smart and be very careful especially in places you are not too familiar with. One last thing, I know a couple of senior railfans who still travel around without a cell phone, this is not too bright, one can save your life in the event of an emergency whether it be a bad fall or an encounter with a wild animal or reptile.
Noel Weaver
 #1392320  by B&Mguy

Interesting replies, especially about the snakes, since that's something I don't tend to think about too much when I'm out exploring and photographing trains, stations and abandoned lines. I should probably thing about this a little more, particularly rattlesnakes...

One thing that I have thought about a lot more in recent years has been black bears. Once upon a time when I was going up, black bears were really only able to be found deep in the woods north of Concord, NH or west of the Connecticut River. These days, bears are being sighted with the MBTA commuter rail system boundaries (Acton, Attleboro, etc...) so the chances of encountering a bear seem to have increased greatly. I'm definitely more cautious than I used to be when venturing into woods, even in the Boston area.

Rural roads often times have their own hazards, be it unleashed territorial dogs such as the one I encountered recently, or poor road conditions. I drive a Subaru, so fortunately I've never gotten stranded or stuck anywhere. It's interesting how urban vs. rural rail fanning each present their own unique set of hazards.
 #1392325  by RussNelson

bubbytrains wrote:A couple of times I have been trackside when a flatcar with loose metal strapping came flailing by. First time was a bulkhead with lumber (remember those?) and the second was last year at the east end of Waterville Yard with a flat of plate steel. I was on adjacent restaurant property so I was not in danger, but it would have been serious injury because that stuff is sharp.
Would it be appropriate to call the railroad's emergency phone number to report that?
 #1392352  by jaymac

They're not always easy to spot, especially when attention is directed at bigger and louder things, but there are statistically few winners in skunk set-tos.
 #1392366  by bubbytrains

Since we are talking NEW ENGLAND railfanning hazards, there is no need to mention dangerous snakes. This is not an issue here. Plus there is no such thing as a poisonous snake. Snakes have venom, not poison. Good topic but lets stick to facts and New England. Thank you kindly.
 #1392382  by Ken W2KB

bubbytrains wrote:Since we are talking NEW ENGLAND railfanning hazards, there is no need to mention dangerous snakes. This is not an issue here. Plus there is no such thing as a poisonous snake. Snakes have venom, not poison. Good topic but lets stick to facts and New England. Thank you kindly.
Some years ago when exploring the site of the former Tiverton, RI passenger station (the tracks are still there but out of service) I came across a rattlesnake which are certainly dangerously venomous. In years gone by there have been rattlesnakes are present in the Tiverton - Little Compton area. Now far fewer than there used to be, but still potential for an encounter I suspect.
 #1392416  by Noel Weaver

bubbytrains wrote:Since we are talking NEW ENGLAND railfanning hazards, there is no need to mention dangerous snakes. This is not an issue here. Plus there is no such thing as a poisonous snake. Snakes have venom, not poison. Good topic but lets stick to facts and New England. Thank you kindly.
Snakes might not be an issue with you but there are plenty of them in the New England States. With your attitude I wish you luck if you go to the hither lands to watch or photograph trains. You need to respect the dangerous. Some authorities refer to dangerous snakes as venomous and some refer to them as poisonous, either is correct.
Noel Weaver
 #1392424  by DutchRailnut

and this year there is bumper crop of copper heads
 #1392496  by CannaScrews

I would think that the primary hazard is not being attired appropriately for the activity - poor footwear, poor choice of attire - you know like wearing kilts with underwear when going through the heather.

Not watching where you step. Most probably haven't seen a snake, bear, moose much less being affected by them. But slipping down an embankment probably happened to most of us.

It's the perception of risk, not the actual risk most people fixate on which is wrong. Parking on the side of a road & getting whacked by a careless driver is more prevalent than getting struck by a copperhead.