Railroad Forums 

• wood pellet mill in gilman, vermont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1392242  by Jedijk88

No article I've seen on the web says rail is a part of this planned facility. It does state that the materials for the manufacturing of pellets will be sourced locally (30 mile radius) and trucked in. Since this will be a pellet bagging facility what rail traffic potential exists? Outbound boxcars of pellets ?
 #1392294  by b&m 1566

That's what I was thinking. Where does the pellets for G&U originate?
 #1393081  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Comes in on CSX Selkirk-to-Framingham, then to G&U on the daily Framingham-Worcester local. I've never seen it mentioned that the stuff is coming from up north via PAR @ Barbers, so can likely rule that out. Good luck figuring this one out with how many states, countries, and RR's have their loads classified through Selkirk. You're way better off just getting an answer straight from the horse's mouth by having a regular G&U spotter ask a crewmember point-blank rather than throw darts at a map of the continental U.S. Or posting the question on the Friends of G&U Facebook page; enough Grafton/Upton/Hopedale townies are friended there that you may get a direct answer from somebody first- or second-hand affiliated with the pellet customer.
 #1522596  by b&m 1566

That project won't amount to anything, that mill will continue to sit vacant. I certainly don't have a solution to attracting business up there but I can tell you, they're about to throw $400,000 in the trash.
New Hampshire Central has trackage rights to the mill correct? Are they even actively trying to recruit new businesses to the mill to do business with?
 #1522624  by Hux

b&m 1566 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:13 pm That project won't amount to anything, that mill will continue to sit vacant. I certainly don't have a solution to attracting business up there but I can tell you, they're about to throw $400,000 in the trash.
New Hampshire Central has trackage rights to the mill correct? Are they even actively trying to recruit new businesses to the mill to do business with?
Shhhhhh! Poland Spring/Nestle will want to come in and siphon all nearby bodies of water.