Railroad Forums 

• 1972/3 Steamtown trip via East Deerfield - looking for info

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1385424  by jamoldover

I recently purchased a slide collection that included several images of an excursion(?) with Steamtown's ex-Rahway Valley #15 (with "Steamtown RR" on the tender), pulling three open-platform coaches. No other power, and the train is clearly moving (there are about a dozen shots, showing the train approaching from the west on the main line, passing under the Railfan Bridge, and entering the yard. There are remnants of snow on the ground, so although the slides are stamped with a June 1973 date, I suspect the trip would have been in February or March.

Does anyone have any information about this trip? I've searched online fairly thoroughly, and haven't been able to find anything.
 #1385426  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jamoldover wrote:I recently purchased a slide collection that included several images of an excursion(?) with Steamtown's ex-Rahway Valley #15 (with "Steamtown RR" on the tender), pulling three open-platform coaches. No other power, and the train is clearly moving (there are about a dozen shots, showing the train approaching from the west on the main line, passing under the Railfan Bridge, and entering the yard. There are remnants of snow on the ground, so although the slides are stamped with a June 1973 date, I suspect the trip would have been in February or March.

Does anyone have any information about this trip? I've searched online fairly thoroughly, and haven't been able to find anything.
Steamtown had a chartered wedding train in March 1973 with steam power that ended up the last-ever passenger trip on the Central Mass. Pic of the train stopping in Wayland, MA is available, as well as others. The Central Mass trip was very well-documented and well-photographed, but I have no idea if it went way out west on the Fitchburg Div. during the excursion. Obviously the rare mileage portion of the trip is of considerably more prominent historical interest than anywhere else it may have gone that day.
 #1385435  by TomNelligan

My guess is that you have photos of a deadhead move conveying the Steamtown equipment from Bellows Falls to Boston for that charter trip that Mr. F-Line cites. East Deerfield would have been along the most likely route for an equipment move. Can you tell from the photos whether the coaches are occupied?
 #1385637  by jamoldover

TomNelligan wrote:My guess is that you have photos of a deadhead move conveying the Steamtown equipment from Bellows Falls to Boston for that charter trip that Mr. F-Line cites. East Deerfield would have been along the most likely route for an equipment move. Can you tell from the photos whether the coaches are occupied?
It's hard to tell, due to reflections of the adjacent track in the windows, but there's definitely someone in a conductor's uniform standing in an open doorway for the rear platform of the last car (and he's waving at the camera).