Railroad Forums 

• Photo Location

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1378297  by Train Detainer

Anyone have an idea of the location or RR info for this? Scan from a photo I picked up at a New England auction. My guess is late 1850s or very early Civil War based on equipment and dress. I have scanned it to 1200dpi and cannot find any legible information.

There is relatively simple striping on the rigid 3-axle tender and the driver axles have thin pointed stars. There does not appear to be any brake equipment on engine or tender and the tender appears to have rubber journal springs. Iron brake beams on the mail car, but no air or vacuum brakes. Structures l-r appear to be outhouse, single stall engine house with short turntable and two track covered train shed with a third 'bump-out'. Low hills/farmland in the distance.
Picture 6.jpg
 #1378322  by Bill Reidy

In 1908, a Mr. Nichols published a postcard using this image, stating this was the first train to Orleans, MA, in 1864. However, it's questionable this claim was accurate:

-- The Cape Cod Central opened between Yarmouth and Orleans on December 5, 1865.
-- More importantly, there is no evidence other than Nichols postcard that Orleans ever had a covered shed station.

At the opening of the Cape Cod Central, all equipment was provided by the Cape Cod (nee Cape Cod Branch) Railroad. If the locomotive can be conclusively identified as a Cape Cod Railroad locomotive, this would help prove Mr. Nichols' claim.

This image can be found on the Orleans Historical Society's webpage: http://www.orleanshistoricalsociety.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1378667  by Ridgefielder

It looks to me like the tracks in the picture are on top of a hill, with the land sloping away toward the trees in the distance. I find that hard to square with what I know about the location of the tracks in Orleans and the topography of the town center.

Also, the inside-coupled 4-4-0 and flat-roofed coaches would have been very old-fashioned, if not obsolete, by 1864. That's not to say they wouldn't be in use; however, if you're running the gala "first train" to a place, complete with formal photographic portrait, it seems like you'd use your newest, shiniest equipment, even if you had to borrow it. If I had to guess I'd say 1844 was a more likely date than 1864.

Also, given what I know about the Victorians, wouldn't a "first train" most likely be covered in flags, bunting and such, maybe with a huge "screaming eagle" mounted on the pilot? Especially if that train was being run in 1864, at the height of the Civil War?
 #1379666  by BandA

Everything is very tidy and handsome. And new looking...no soot marks on the buildings. The ballast looks new but hard to tell. Can the manufacturer of the equipment be determined?
 #1379756  by Ridgefielder

BandA wrote:Everything is very tidy and handsome. And new looking...no soot marks on the buildings. The ballast looks new but hard to tell. Can the manufacturer of the equipment be determined?
The locomotive is an unusual design, that's for sure. Inside-coupled, outside-framed standard-gauge 4-4-0. I recall reading that the early New England builders favored cleaner-looking inside-coupled designs until they realized what a maintenance headache they were. There were what, half a dozen locomotive builders in New England in the mid-19th century?
 #1380545  by Train Detainer

I finally dug up the framed original. Written on the back in faded pencil (I had forgotten all about the writing) is "Orleans, Mass. First train xxxx illegible xxxx". Also written on the side of the frame is:
First train Barnstable
to West Barnstable 1853
to Hyannis 1854

There is also a faded paragraph that is illegible.

I did some digging on the locomotive - it appears to be a Norris product going by the dome, bell frame and smokebox front. I had to down-size the scan to post it here, but even the lower res scans show that the loco is not new but well cared for. There appear to be dents on the safety valve columns and valve covers, the cylinder heads are clearly heat stressed and dirty around the bolt rings, there is paint wear on the driver fender and lack of polish on the steam dome. It is clearly several years old. The headlight case is also dented and well-used, although headlights were swapped around a lot back then so it's not really a good indication of anything.

The mail/baggage car also looks well cared for, but the front truck's wooden side frame is bowed downward with age/overloading and the step treads are well worn.
 #1380566  by Cowford

A couple of hints about the locomotive's age... the 4-4-0 was developed in the 1840's. Sandboxes were fairly common by the mid-1850's, and I believe headlights started to be adopted in the mid- to late-1840's. Given the engine has no sandbox/dome, maybe this is a clue the pic was, indeed, early 1850's?