Railroad Forums 

• Where to see trains in Connecticut

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1366138  by sullysullinburg

Hey everyone,

First post here. I've been rail fanning for about 3 years or so. I recently moved to Connecticut from New Jersey. I mainly spotted NJT out of Red Bank and the occasional freight from the south secondary. I was wondering if you guys could help me find a new place to spot. I was looking at this rail map http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... 5-2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and was trying to find what was the best line to spot on. I live in Simsbury and have a couple questions. First are those tracks represented black dashed lines still there? I thought they were converted into a trail but I could be looking at the wrong thing. Second, does anyone know how active the line to the right of Simsbury is? It's the green 19. Also is there anywhere else that I could spot that is near by? Thanks for any help you can give.
 #1366163  by NHV 669

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=54972

This thread should get you started, with a bit of info within the first couple posts about the "line to the right", the Griffin Secondary of the Central New England Railroad.

http://www.panamrailways.com/includes/t ... stemap.jpg

This map, illustrated by one of the senior members here, should serve as a useful tool for searching the local area. Any of the railroads listed are likely to have their own thread within the New England forum, as there are plenty of current/former CT residents and employees/retirees here to discuss them and give sighting tips/knowledge.

Welcome to RR.net!
 #1366167  by CannaScrews

Line #19 on the map is the Central New Zealand RR :-D Griffins Branch. It sees service a few times a week. The customer is Home Depot & the run originates by the Bloomfield engine house & goes down to Hartford where it interchanges with Rail America CSOR.

The Hartford line has Amtrak, CSOR, PAS. Check into the Berlin Amtrak Station & see the station agent 6AM-1PM for more info.

It depends on what you mean "nearby". Springfield is less than an hour away as is Old Saybrook (sort of).
 #1366212  by bwparker1

sullysullinburg wrote:Hey everyone,

First post here. I've been rail fanning for about 3 years or so. I recently moved to Connecticut from New Jersey. I mainly spotted NJT out of Red Bank and the occasional freight from the south secondary. I was wondering if you guys could help me find a new place to spot. I was looking at this rail map http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... 5-2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and was trying to find what was the best line to spot on. I live in Simsbury and have a couple questions. First are those tracks represented black dashed lines still there? I thought they were converted into a trail but I could be looking at the wrong thing. Second, does anyone know how active the line to the right of Simsbury is? It's the green 19. Also is there anywhere else that I could spot that is near by? Thanks for any help you can give.
Welcome, I live in Simsbury too... For freight in Connecticut your best bet is the Springfield Line, but some of the freight moves are in the PM/overnight hours. Also, with Amtrak doing substantial construction to this corridor, the timing of trains is a bit off... Some of the smaller moves like PanAms PL-1 and the EDPL/PLED trains or P&WRR work around Middletown, CT may be entertaining to chase but you have to do a lot of work to know the schedule and catch them at the right time.

West SPringfield MA has CSX Yard and probably more freights, but about 40 minute drive. Hartford is 20 minutes. If you go to New Haven, you will see a bunch of passenger trains.

Finally, you might want to join this Yahoo Group. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CTshortlines/info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck.
 #1366239  by YamaOfParadise

While not in the Simsbury area, since CT is rather small, here's what I can think of from my neck of the woods (south-central to southeast CT):
  • There's unobstructed (read: no fencing) view of (what's left of) Cedar Hill Yard on Universal Drive in New Haven, just off of I-91 exit 9, in the southern parking lot of the P.C. Richards & Son. It's right near where CSX lays up their engines, too. Been here numerous times, and I've never had any trouble; of course, since there's no fencing, just remember not to tresspass on RR property.
  • Old Saybrook, as previously mentioned; probably one of the most popular places on the Shore Line for photography. The 1873 station is still there and in-use as a ticket office and waiting room, and you can see how the Valley Line continued southward because of its odd shape. The restaurant Pizza Works is in the old freight house, which is convenient as well. Also nearby the station is Amtrak's Connecticut River Bridge; there's a park on the Old Lyme end of it, including a boardwalk that runs underneath it, and is all-around a good place to watch the movable span operate in addition to trains. The 1907 bridge is visibly in not good condition (in addition to breaking down fairly often), so it's days are numbered (the replacement project is in its design phase now, I believe, so it's still going to be there for a while).
  • Essex is definitely something you should see, as that's where the Valley Railroad bases their excursions out of. Only place nearby you'll see operating steam locomotives! There's a number of well preserved stations along the Valley Line there, and it's a very pretty area, so definitely check it out sometime! (Totally not biased by having done volunteer work there :wink:)
  • Niantic in East Lyme is a neat place; there's the new replacement bascule over the river on the east side, and a boardwalk flanks the Shore Line along the beach and cove. Really wide view of the railway because of the cove, and all-around pretty.
  • New London Union Station is finally also a good place to visit. Shore Line East terminates some trains here, and Amtrak stops as well; well-preserved station, right on the Thames River. It's also truly a multimodal station, with three ferries (Cross-Sound/Long Island, Fishers Island, Block Island), as well as the local city busses. There's also a boardwalk here, too, and at the south of it there's a swing bridge over Shaw Cove that is easily viewable. If you're doing photography/videography, Amtrak Police might tell you (politely) to just not do it on the station property/platforms (the one time this happened to me, the guy basically just told me to just go to the areas just beyond the crossing gates).
More in your area of the woods and also elaborating on others' thoughts, you should check out Pan Am Southern's (jointly owned by Pan Am Railway/Norfolk Southern) Waterbury Branch; the previously-mentioned EDPL/PLED runs between East Deerfield (MA) and Plainville. Going west of Plainville, there's Terryville, which hosts a number of interesting features. There's the Terryville Tunnel, one of the few (remaining) tunnels in Connecticut. No easily accessible place to view the portals, but since there are roads right above both portals, I've seen photos and video from people who've been able to scale their way partially down the embankments to get their shots... obviously do so at your own risk and judgement. And then there's the spur up to Firestone; there's very large loop at the bottom of the spur to wind its way upwards (which is a remnant of the original pre-tunnel alignment) and sports an freighthouse (in commercial use), which is right next to a wood trestle (offscreen to the left in that streetview panorama). Still going west to the end of the Waterbury Branch, Waterbury itself is an... iffy city, to say the least. The old station there is home to the Republican-American newspaper, and the MNRR station is right below it where the Waterbury Branch trains terminate, but the parking area along the station has had a tendency to have (the commuter's unattended-to) cars in it broken into in some areas where there's no sightline from the street below, so I can hardly recommend it as a "good" area to see. North of there in Thompson, though, is the Railroad Museum of New England (which is more excursion railroad than museum), so that's also a place to also check out. They also do some limited freight moves, as well.
 #1366244  by BostonUrbEx

Hartford for Amtrak, Pan Am, Connecticut Southern, and Central New England. Does anyone know if P&W does any interchanging with CSO at Hartford? Maybe catch them as well.
 #1366257  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BostonUrbEx wrote:Hartford for Amtrak, Pan Am, Connecticut Southern, and Central New England. Does anyone know if P&W does any interchanging with CSO at Hartford? Maybe catch them as well.
P&W's CT-1 interchanges construction debris with CSOR in Hartford. But unless the location has changed in the last few years it's done at the division post underneath the I-91/Charter Oak Bridge spaghetti ramps and not at Hartford Yard.

I know all the convoluted ex-Conrail red tape with CSOR prevents the two from interchanging at Cedar Hill even though they wave at each other from across the yard any day of the week. Maybe the handoff rules in Hartford are similarly encumbered by legacy red tape.
 #1366266  by bwparker1

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Hartford for Amtrak, Pan Am, Connecticut Southern, and Central New England. Does anyone know if P&W does any interchanging with CSO at Hartford? Maybe catch them as well.
P&W's CT-1 interchanges construction debris with CSOR in Hartford. But unless the location has changed in the last few years it's done at the division post underneath the I-91/Charter Oak Bridge spaghetti ramps and not at Hartford Yard.

I know all the convoluted ex-Conrail red tape with CSOR prevents the two from interchanging at Cedar Hill even though they wave at each other from across the yard any day of the week. Maybe the handoff rules in Hartford are similarly encumbered by legacy red tape.
Pretty sure there is no more interchange anywhere in Hartford between P&W and CSOR. P&W doesn't go north of Seven D warehouse in Rocky Hill. They (PW) have not been through Wethersfield for several years.
 #1366283  by SemperFidelis

The trolley museum in Branford (East Haven?) is truly worth a day's visit, if traction/subway/rapid transit equipment and operations interest you at all. The collection is impressive, the rides pleasant, and the staff generally wonderful.
 #1366294  by Noel Weaver

I certainly second the motion on the Shore Line Trolley Museum. If you get interested enough you have an opportunity to join up and I don't think you will be sorry if you do this. You also have an opportunity to get the feel of railroading and if you join up you might well get opportunities to operate these cars as well after some training which will also be a good experience. You will also meet some interesting people who have the same interests that you do. If you go to Hartford I would advise you to be very careful where you go especially with camera equipment or alone, danger lurks in Hartford.
Noel Weaver
 #1366295  by SemperFidelis

Yes, in Hartford, indeed, do be careful as lonely, mournful packs of Whalers fans can often times be seen, wandering thier former habitat in search of a hockey game there never again to be played.

Seriously, a lot of the former industrial towns of the northeast can be pretty rough places if you appear out of place or nervous in your surroundings.

No such worries in Branford. Lovely little place!
 #1366359  by CannaScrews

YamaOfParadise wrote: Going west of Plainville, there's Terryville, which hosts a number of interesting features. There's the Terryville Tunnel, one of the few (remaining) tunnels in Connecticut. No easily accessible place to view the portals, but since there are roads right above both portals, I've seen photos and video from people who've been able to scale their way partially down the embankments to get their shots... obviously do so at your own risk and judgement. And then there's the spur up to Firestone; there's very large loop at the bottom of the spur to wind its way upwards (which is a remnant of the original pre-tunnel alignment) and sports an freighthouse (in commercial use), which is right next to a wood trestle (offscreen to the left in that streetview panorama). Still going west to the end of the Waterbury Branch, Waterbury itself is an... iffy city, to say the least. The old station there is home to the Republican-American newspaper, and the MNRR station is right below it where the Waterbury Branch trains terminate, but the parking area along the station has had a tendency to have (the commuter's unattended-to) cars in it broken into in some areas where there's no sightline from the street below, so I can hardly recommend it as a "good" area to see. North of there in Thompson, though, is the Railroad Museum of New England (which is more excursion railroad than museum), so that's also a place to also check out. They also do some limited freight moves, as well.
On the south end of the Terryville tunnel there is now a propane transload - so when the once-a-week (for now) Waterbury job comes from Plainville, that will get switched out.

Hanging around Waterbury is not that bad - in the daytime at least. The parking lot by the tracks does have a little reputation, but not really bad. Street parking is available. The State courthouse is across the street, so there is lots of foot traffic around the area - no worries.

The RMNE is in THOMASTON 9 track miles north of Waterbury Station. Quiet over the winter except for work moves, this spring will see some more work trains due to a 'spiffing up' of the line. Some info is available at http://rmne.org/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Most Saturdays will see activity at the shop & station areas, even in the winter.
 #1366360  by CannaScrews

Another place is to check out is in New Haven - the Belle Dock track which had street running until the track was rebuilt around the New Haven Terminal area. The P&W switches out that area occasionally. I'm not sure of the schedule. Very accessible. Just off Forbes Avenue.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2905318 ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1366620  by Plate C

I'd start by grabbing a burger and beer at Plan B, burger restaurant in an old station w/ an engine and caboose outside. There are some cool old schedules, bills, etc. pasted around each other just inside the door where the ticket wondow used to be. There's also an oil company nearby that has an old Maine Central caboose in their yard. From there you're going to get the best bang for your buck by going to Palmer, MA, really only a short drive. You'll get maybe one CSX train an hour, maybe see NECR making moves, and possibly Amtrak. About as active as it gets in these parts. And it's also at an old station that has been made into a restaurant and has an engine outside.
 #1366978  by amtrak-wnd

I used to live in Simsbury and now I live in Windsor, by the tracks. When I lived in Simsbury I'd usually go to either Windsor/Hartford or West Springfield, MA, which is about 30 mins away. If you don't want to go far, Windsor and Hartford are decent because you can see several Amtrak and Connecticut Southern trains in a few hours. Lately there have been 2 CSO freights which regularly go through Windsor between 12:30 and 3:30 PM southbound.