Railroad Forums 

• MassDOT Acquisition of Framingham Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1358707  by craven

Rail markings with new ties lined up for replacement from Rt. 27 Sherborn north to Prospect St.

The CSX B-725 passed through at 7:05 AM with (3) GP40-2 pulling ~40 cars.. Speed was reduced to 5 mph as they traveled behind the Sherborn Inn heading North. Must be raveling over the recently worked area.
 #1359169  by craven

It appears that the secondary is being upgraded ( new ties) from the Framingham yard to Medfield. Track maintenance equipment on the siding by Blandin Ave. Framingham and by the Needham switch in Medfield.
 #1361279  by craven

As of Dec. 12th &13th, New ties being installed from the Sherborn/Medfield Charles River Bridge Crossing over Hospital Road down to W. Mill St.. Track equipment all along that stretch. Looks like only from the Framingham yard to W. Mill St. is being worked. As of 9:00 AM., Sunday, the Track equipment is working 1/2 mile north of W. Mill St.. Looks like they should have this completed today.

The CSX B725 should have slow move orders on this stretch when they head south tonight.
 #1361282  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Wonder if this was originally slotted as pending spring 2016 work and they instead decided to have a go at it during the 'bonus time' offered by this freakishly warm, ground freeze-free December we're having. Rare to see ground broken on a track work blitz so late in the year, but this bizarre warmth shows no end in sight so guess they decided to go for it.
 #1361483  by dbperry

Can anyone confirm how this line is now dispatched / controlled? Prior to sale to MassDOT, I think the CSX NA dispatcher wrote track warrants for it, but I'm not 100% certain.
 #1361511  by F-line to Dudley via Park

dbperry wrote:Can anyone confirm how this line is now dispatched / controlled? Prior to sale to MassDOT, I think the CSX NA dispatcher wrote track warrants for it, but I'm not 100% certain.
MassDOT is outsourcing dispatching to Iowa Pacific (Mass Coastal's owner), who also dispatch the Cape and South Coast lines.
 #1361630  by craven

I've heard the CSX B-725 Engineer radio the North Framingham yard ( transmission from the Sherborn Area), discussing the consist and which tracks to approach in Nevins Yard.

The Engineer normally reminds North Yard to inform Keolis of their merge onto the main line.
 #1363506  by craven

Looks like the Secondary Upgrade is continuing as sections of Continuous Welded Rail are being delivered to the secondary beginning by Blandin Ave. Framingham down to the Sherborn line.
 #1363915  by KB1KVD

IPH (Mass Coastal) is dispatching the entire Framingham secondary on AAR 21/21 (160.425 MHz) which is the same for channel used between Bay and Hyannis.
 #1364829  by Frog Prince

KB1KVD wrote:IPH (Mass Coastal) is dispatching the entire Framingham secondary on AAR 21/21 (160.425 MHz) which is the same for channel used between Bay and Hyannis.

There was a Mass Coastal truck and signal technician working on the crossing signals in Sherborn Center yesterday. Previously they would have been CSX employees servicing those signals.

Guess that confirms the transfer of responsibility from CSX to Mass Coastal for train control/dispatch and signaling on the Framingham Secondary.
 #1394625  by craven

The MOW equipment that was parked on the Medfield siding by the Needham switch is gone.

I followed the line back to Framingham where another siding is and they are not there.

I checked in Walpole and there was a tamper and other track equipment parked on the siding by the Franklin main by MM #19.