Railroad Forums 

• Store Opening - Palmer Hobbies

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1274387  by dcm74

Palmer Hobbies, 1428 Main St., Palmer,MA, is now open. Proprietor is Bill Lanza who previously worked for the now closed Tucker's Hobbies in Warren, MA. Hours are Tu, We, Th & Sa, 10:00-5:00 and Fr, 10:00-6:30. Phone is 413-436-5318. Now you have the opportunity to watch trains in Palmer and visit the hobby shop.
 #1274390  by Dick H

I believe the correct address is 1428 North Main St. in Palmer,
right across from the Hess Gas Station. Google shows 1428
Main St. in the Bondsville section of Palmer.
 #1274405  by dcm74

Google isn't perfect and seldom admits mistakes. If the store were in Bondsville the prefix on the street number would be a 3. There are 4 separate Main Streets in Palmer, 1 in each village.
 #1274421  by Tower35

Sorry to say it, but if you have to ask about prices, then you probably really can't afford to be in the hobby. We've all squeaked out bargains here and there to save some chump change. Save the shipping and handling costs via the phone and the internet to hopefully get an unseen questionable bargain. Go to Palmer and also enjoy a day of railfanning and fine cuisine and drinks at the Steaming Tender Restaurant in the old Palmer station. The prices at the store are reasonable. I've been in there to see a lot of nice great new stock. BTW, the address is correct. Don't trust what you see or read on the internet.
 #1274545  by traingeek8223

I wish the owner luck. I know how hard it is to start a new hobby shop. I will check it out next time I come through town.
 #1274647  by dcm74

Tower35 wrote:Sorry to say it, but if you have to ask about prices, then you probably really can't afford to be in the hobby. We've all squeaked out bargains here and there to save some chump change. Save the shipping and handling costs via the phone and the internet to hopefully get an unseen questionable bargain. Go to Palmer and also enjoy a day of railfanning and fine cuisine and drinks at the Steaming Tender Restaurant in the old Palmer station. The prices at the store are reasonable. I've been in there to see a lot of nice great new stock. BTW, the address is correct. Don't trust what you see or read on the internet.
A couple of other places to take note of in Palmer. The Cumberland Farms on North Main St. is a 24 hour a day store, has restrooms and 99cent any size coffee. A little further along N. Main is the Apollo Pizzeria which has a full menu and is open late 7 days a week.
 #1274655  by CN9634

Tower35 wrote:Sorry to say it, but if you have to ask about prices, then you probably really can't afford to be in the hobby.
Rather than implying that I'm too cheap to pay premium prices, perhaps a simple answer regarding the question at hand would be enough for someone who may drive a few hundred miles to check out the spot. I guess if I can afford to do that then perhaps I can afford a few toy trains?

Also was happy to buy up stock from Tucker's big closeout sale -- sad to see them go.
 #1275007  by Tower35

Here are some options for visiting Palmer especially on a weekday. CSX and NECR usually have a lot of switching activity around 8 - 8:30 AM. You might also catch the Mass Central coming out of the Palmer yard for their trip north to Ware and Barre. If you want to follow the MCRR around that time, you can by following the track up route 181 north and cross a few crossings through Thorndike. I'd suggest you consult some maps to follow the route along route 32 north.

A few years ago, the railroad group at the Palmer Library published a book about Palmer's railroads with plenty of great maps to explore the town and the railroads that are still there and some that don't exist now. That book is available at Palmer Hobbies which opens at 10AM each day.

Breakfast options are great if you arrive early in Palmer. Two such places, the "Day & Night Diner", and the "Palmer Restaurant", both on Main Street, are open at the crack of dawn. Make a day of it!
 #1288203  by bruceclouette

I went to Palmer Hobbies last week. Very nice store. Especially good in books and magazines, also a lot of Woodland Scenic. I am into O-3-rail, so this store that specializes in HO and N was not going to have rolling stock and engines in my scale, but I bought about $150 worth of books. They also have some Poly Scale paints in various colors, by no means comprehensive, but if, like me, you like these water-soluble acrylics you might see some you need. They are getting hard to find now that they have been discontinued. Definitely worth a trip if you live anywhere in the area, or if you are going to Palmer to use the railroad collection, eat at the Steaming Tender, or just railfan.

BRUCE