Railroad Forums 

• RRs in Vermont and Berkshires

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1257485  by NHV 669

B&M 1227 wrote:The track you're thinking of is probably the spur from North Bennington to Bennington. Train last ran in the 90s, but cars were stored there into the early 2000s. The line was originally part of the Corkscrew Division down to Chatham, and included a short section of street running on former trolley trackage to the Bennington Potters.
Probably not, I think I've been directly through the town of Bennington three times in my life, twice in the last 3 years driving straight through from Colorado to S. NH, and once when i was elementary school age. I'm referring more or less to the section from Rutland down to north of Manchester
 #1257505  by newpylong

No track work was done that far north. The branch was rebuilt as was some of the mainline from North Bennington north towards Manchester, perhaps Arlington. I forgot exactly where they stopped. North of there is 10 mph and pretty old rail all the way to Rutland.
 #1258839  by rovetherr

The track you saw along Rte 7 north of Manchester is the VTR Bennington and Rutland Sub. It is in use, but as you saw not in the greatest shape. The guys have been working at it, lots of ties over the past few years along with surfacing. It is in far better shape now than in '08, but it has a ways to go. The welded rail stops in Arlington, and track speed stops at Manchester.
 #1260690  by JRG

I think there's a railroad museum in Lenox, MA, just south of Pittsfield open on Saturdays this summer starting on Memorial Day weekend and I think I read about or heard that there could be a new tourist train operation on the ex-NYC/B&A Adams Branch running between North Adams and Adams starting late this summer which is allegedly going to be operated by the same people who operate that museum in Lenox.

Western New England has a rich and colorful railroad industry. Appreciate its history, sense its legacy and celebrate its future….. :wink: