Railroad Forums 

• Carl Weber's ConRail in Connecticut

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1236482  by bwparker1

There are some great pictures here on Conrail serving Connecticut in the 1980's to 1990's in and around the greater Hartford area, (Springfield Line, Manchester and Armory branches, etc.) Have a look and enjoy.

Carl Weber's ConRail in Connecticut

http://thecrhs.org/node/25298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BWP
 #1237150  by RonM

Even the Bradley Branch is covered!!! Really wish a Morning Sun Trackside project materialized from some of the great shots he has.
 #1237301  by bwparker1

RonM wrote:Even the Bradley Branch is covered!!! Really wish a Morning Sun Trackside project materialized from some of the great shots he has.
What a great idea, Morning Sun Book in and around Hartford... Have no idea how you would get the photos together, but it would be a great book, I would certainly buy a copy.

BWP
 #1238803  by Engineer Spike

I saw some pictures of Plainville there. I lived less than a mile away. At the time my grandfather ran a trucking company. One of his biggest accounts was a furniture broker. He leased the freight house to transload boxcars of furniture from the south to the trucks. The railroad still used the office portion for the yard office.

I was occasionally arranged rides on the switch engines. I know they were RS3s due to the body style. Some were later rebuilt with EMDs, I'm sure.

The Plainville shots show Route 72 under construction. I remember that because some local streets were divided. I also remember waking up to the banging of the pile drivers, since that area has lots of wetlands.

One day a friend and I biked down to the yard. My grandmother gave me the job of bringing my grandfather his lunch. I spotted a boxcar on fire down in the yard. It was a car of newsprint. We naturally watched the fire department put it out, as one of my uncles was a firefighter. On the way home we encountered a railroad cop, while leaving the yard. He asked if we knew what had happed. I told him that I had discovered the fire, and why we were there. The d!¢k still made us turn out our pockets to see if we had matches. My grandfather later told me that he set the cop straight. I was supervised and wouldn't do something like that.

Not too much later, in about 1982 the B&M took over.